Operational Risk Executive (6-month FTC)
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
CDC is a positive working environment, built around a worthwhile and important mission. Working here you can be part of an international team which combines commercial focus and attitude with a mission that plays a demonstrable role in improving the lives of some of the world’s poorest people. You will work with a diverse, intelligent, exciting group of people, and can play a part in ensuring that CDC remains a truly excellent place to work.
CDC’s Risk function is responsible for overseeing CDC’s risk management framework, including:
- Leading initiatives to clearly articulate CDC’s risk appetite.
- Designing, implementing, and ensuring the effective functioning of CDC’s risk framework in line with the organisation’s activities and external requirements.
- Supporting risk owners in their understanding of risk and risk appetite; challenging them in the identification, measurement, and mitigation of risks consistent with risk appetite and limit management framework
- Providing risk reporting to executive committees, the Board and Shareholder, enabling these bodies to understand the risks facing CDC and how they are being managed.
As part of the build out of CDC’s risk function and risk framework, we have introduced new principles governing the risk register and expanded the coverage of the risk register programme, including greater focus on operational risks within CDC’s investment teams. The role of the Operational Risk Executive is to deliver parts of the risk register programme, working across CDC’s operations, investment and transaction support teams, with a particular focus on delivering risk register reviews for investment teams.
This role will give you an opportunity to work with stakeholders across CDC and build a detailed understanding of how core processes operate, challenges within those processes and how they can be enhanced. It will also give you the opportunity to develop your understanding of core operational risk assessment techniques and how they are applied within CDC’s risk framework.
- Manage CDC’s risk register programme, working with risk owners to ensure that risks are identified and assessed appropriately
- Conduct risk workshop sessions to support first line teams in identifying and assessing operational risks within their core processes
- Provide constructive challenge to risk owners to ensure that risks are rated consistently and that robust action plans are developed where required
- Identify and implement solutions to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of the risk register processes
- Must have previous operational risk experience from an investment institutional environment (either sell or buy side) and have completed risk control self-assessments (RCSA) with the “Front Office”
- Ability to gather, analyse, evaluate and present risk management data, including risk events and key risk indicators
- Ability to prepare and present concise oral and written reports
- Strong interpersonal skills with a persuasive, diplomatic, confident manner
- Strong attention to detail when preparing reports and analysing data
- Strong organisational skills and ability to plan and manage multiple tasks concurrently
- Ability to work across levels within the organisation and provide constructive challenge to risk owners
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing
- An ability to establish and retain effective working relationships with other company staff
- An understanding of and empathy with the development finance sector
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Please provide a cover letter with your application