Summer Intern, Direct Equity (3 positions available)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
Making direct equity investments is central to our strategy. Such investments allow us to target capital at businesses that provide significant employment opportunities and which have the potential for strong growth and the creation of even more jobs.
The Equity Investments team, invests private equity into businesses directly, either solely, or by co-investing with other direct investors or alongside local GPs across Africa and South Asia.
- Financial Institutions
- Health and Education
- Agriculture and Food Processing
Investments are from our balance sheet and, depending on the opportunity, we have the flexibility to take equity stakes. ranging from 1 to 100 per cent.
All investment opportunities must have strong development impact potential in order to be considered. Our typical minimum investment is US$10m for direct private equity and US$20m for infrastructure. We are particularly interested in proven business platforms that have the potential to be scaled-up in harder geographies.
The primary role of the Interns will be to support the deal teams. This will include assisting with:
- Analysing new investment proposals, including market research, financial analysis and valuations
- Preparing presentation materials for investment committees;
- Performing discrete project work around sector mapping to identify potential investees and to help develop investment theses
Specific responsabilites will be driven by priorities and needs of the team at the time, but are expected to include some or all of the following:
- Undertaking research into specific sectors, countries and regions as part of an on-going mapping exercise
- Based on research conducted, create mapping structures for assessing investment opportunities and Private Equity professionals in the market
- Undertaking research on an ad-hoc basis, as part of the background analysis for specific proposals
- Producing market developments updates across the continent, monitoring factors that could have an impact on pipeline and portfolio companies, using open-source information and specialized publications
Evaluation of new investment proposals
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Conducting financial analysis and modelling on potential deals
- Participating in the due diligence process;
- Assisting with preparing investment committee papers and participating in the meetings.
- Reviewing the financial, operating and development impact performance of investee companies
- Supporting the execution of specific value creation initiatives
- Assisting with the preparation of internal portfolio review papers and analysis of portfolio level performance
- University degree or equivalent and currently enrolled in an MBA programme or equivalent programme
- Demonstrable business experience, preferably in investment banking, consulting or private equity
- Demonstration of identity with CDC’s proposition including:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives
- A desire and passion to be part of CDC’s strategy and participate in its work
- Evidence of high performance standards in previous positions
- Ability to analyse data, draw conclusions and present ideas strong written and oral presentation skills
- Report writing and advanced knowledge of Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company financial statements, sector data, economics and relevant political events
- Understanding of debt and equity investments and the challenges/issues involved with a type of investment
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Communication: Strong written/verbal communication skills to effectively carry out role
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
- Please provide a covering letter and state which is your preferred sector
- Please apply for a maximum of two Summer Internships, clearly stating your preference in your covering letter
- The closing date for applications will be 28 January 2018
- Salary: £47,055 pro–rated over 10 weeks
- Please note that CDC will not be able to provide relocation costs