Investment Associate, Direct Equity – Consumer
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 380 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- There are five levels in the team – Associate, Executive, Manager, Director & Team Leader. However, the team operates in a very flat structure, allowing employees at all levels to get involved in the real detail, and in representational work, both to Investment Committee and externally.
There are three parts to the role (at all levels);
- Origination – sector mapping, finding & evaluating investment opportunities, and building and maintaining relationships with companies
- Execution – analysing companies in detail, conducting due diligence, navigating the Investment Committee process, agreeing legal terms
- Portfolio management – analysing companies in detail, preparing for Board meetings, helping the companies wherever we can, preparing for follow-on investments or exits
At Investment Associate level, you will spend the majority of your time working on execution; by the time you are an Investment Executive you will be able to run almost all execution stages unassisted. You will also be given responsibility for some sub-sectors where you are involved in origination, and play a supporting role on portfolio management.
The Associate’s primary role is to support the senior members of the Consumer Equity deal team. This will include assisting with:
- Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises, financial modelling, etc.
- Having responsibility for aspects of the deal processes including working on commercial, financial, tax and legal due diligence, typically alongside advisors
- Undertaking research into specific sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate in order to develop sub-sector strategies
- Supporting the post-deal management of the investment portfolio
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities
- Preparation of valuation and presentation materials for investment committees
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Assisting with reports to be presented to the Investment Committee for approval and participating in the meetings
- Conducting a detailed valuation on a company using various methods
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, sector, and country
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific sectors on an ad-hoc basis. This will include providing support to sector mapping exercises
- Undertaking research in to specific businesses or projects including traveling to meet management teams and advisers
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees’ financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements
Background, skills, aptitude
We are looking for candidates that will deliver from day one, but also be on a trajectory to reach Investment Director.
- Typically, candidates will have strong training in fundamentals (commercial/financial analysis, valuation, financial modelling) from top tier private equity, strategy consulting or investment banking.
- Critical softer skills: (1) ability to look at complex problems and get to the root of the issue, (2) ability to build relationships with companies, (3) ability to communicate clearly on paper and in person, and (4) ability to multi-task.
- Candidates will also need to evidence previous experience working in, or demonstrable passion for, Africa or South Asia, or at the very least an understanding of emerging markets.
- Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals.
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of gender, age, educational background, national origin, ethnic origin, disability, sexual orientation and religion.
Please provide a cover letter with your application
Role opened: 05/09/2019
Role closes: 07/10/2019