Evaluations Manager, Development Impact
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
CDC’s Development Impact team provides technical leadership as we screen, manage and evaluate the development impact of the investments we make. Over the next five years, we will implement a world-class framework designed to select the right investments, assess, measure and communicate their impact and better understand what works in private sector development. This includes a commitment to commission and publish at least 10 independent evaluations. See CDC’s Strategic Framework 2017-21.
CDC’s evaluations consider important themes across our investment portfolio. Most evaluations are conducted by external, independent evaluators and are made publicly available. The evaluations allow a deeper-dive into understanding questions of impact important to CDC’s mission, enabling us to learn lessons and continually steer our investment strategy towards greater impact.
We are recruiting an Evaluations Manager to run, and continue to build, our evaluations programme, whilst the current incumbent is on maternity leave.
The role will entail day-to-day oversight of a small team of Associates/Executives and close collaboration with investment teams, DFID and key stakeholders to design and execute thematic and sector-based evaluations. The Evaluations Manager will also play a key role in ensuring CDC staff, as well as external stakeholders, learn from CDC’s evaluations and contribute to the development of our pipeline of evaluations.
Individuals with experience in commissioning and/or conducting development impact evaluations in a private sector or investment context are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Manage a pipeline of independent, rigorous evaluations that are aligned to CDCs investment priorities
- Design and commission new evaluations, including identifying and engaging with independent experts (academics and consultants) and building relationships with portfolio companies to participate
- Oversee tendering and contracting processes in line with CDC’s procurement procedures, and ensure any ethical considerations are appropriately managed
- Manage team members to design, execute and deliver evaluations
- Ensure evaluations remain on track against agreed timelines, including regular check-ins with evaluators, trouble-shooting where needed, and ensuring stakeholders remain informed concerning progress
- Find innovative ways to engage the Board’s Development Impact Committee and investment teams to ensure that learning is captured and acted upon at the right levels of the organisation
- Build and maintain a good understanding of existing evidence and evaluations in progress, particularly those commissioned by other development finance institutions to ensure CDC’s programme remains additive
Strong academic credentials, including a relevant post-graduate qualification
Proven work experience in a relevant field, preferably within development, management consulting or the investment industry, and preferably with exposure to private sector investing
Work experience in developing countries, preferably in Africa and South Asia
- Excellent numerical, analytical and problem-solving skills
- Ability to lead evaluations from start to finish
- Knowledge of different evaluation approaches in a private sector context
- Understanding of the existing evidence base concerning the impact of private sector investments
- Capacity to build and maintain relationships with external consultants
- Good people management skills
- Strong project management skills and the ability to manage and progress a portfolio of evaluations at different stages
- Strong communication skills – the ability to describe complex development impact scenarios – and to present learning from evaluations to investment teams, CDC’s Board and external audiences
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover-note with your application.
Posted on: 14th July 2017
Closing date: 14th September 2017