Investment Director, Food & Agriculture, Consumer Businesses, Equity Investments
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- Develop and implement a strategy for CDC’s private equity investments in the food-processing, agribusiness and agri-inputs sectors across Africa and South Asia
- Working with the Head of Direct Equities Consumer Business, Managing Director of Equity Investments and the other Investment Directors contribute to the overall development of CDC’s private equity business including helping to manage and develop a team of high-quality investment professionals
- Develop and maintain a broad understanding of the food-processing and agribusiness sector in Africa and South Asia with a view to:
- Identify trends, opportunities, issues, etc.
- Develop understanding of potential target companies, relationships with their shareholders and senior management, insight into their businesses, etc.
- Develop and maintain a broad network of potential co-investors, joint-venture partners, advisers, bankers, non-executive directors, etc.
- Maintaining up-to-date knowledge and expertise on conditions in the emerging markets and specifically the economic, political and social conditions in markets where CDC’s funds operate, or potentially wish to operate.
- Lead thorough research on potential investments in target companies, trends in industry/sectors, country analysis and monitoring performance of portfolio companies.
- Lead deal teams to analyse and evaluate new investments including comprehensive legal, financial and commercial due diligence, with lead responsibility for preparing recommendations to CDC’s Investment Committee.
- Build strong relationships with company management and lead negotiations with companies, management and other investors to conclude successful private equity transactions
- Active engagement with the relevant portfolio companies post-investment, in order to drive and manage performance of the investments from a commercial, developmental and ESG perspective
- Taking a pro-active approach to building value and to resolving problems of under-performance and/or non-compliance at investment level.
- Advise other areas of CDC (such as Debt and Funds) particularly in relation to food-processing and agri-businesss
- Lead CDC’s private equity strategy and activities with relation to agri-business and food-processing across Africa and South Asia
- Contributing to the overall leadership of the private equity business working with the Head of Direct Equities Consumer Business, other Investment
- Directors and the Managing Director, Equity Investments
- Establish and maintain relationships in Africa and South Asia with a range of potential investee companies and partners to generate deal flow of the best quality
- Apply commercial judgement to ensure that CDC’s deal teams work on the right deals at the right time in accordance with the overall agribusiness strategy
- Preparing investment reports and communicate the rationale for investing in the target company to the investment committee together with a balanced view of the risks, opportunities and potential returns;
- Conducting a thorough analysis on the potential investment; and finding mitigating factors to manage risk;
- Conducting a detailed valuation on companies using various methods, compare valuation against trading companies and past transaction. Provide detailed analysis on valuation;
- Conducting a thorough due diligence on a company, sector, and country.
- Manage third party due diligence advisors to achieve well-run transaction processes;
- Applies good judgment and historical analysis to issues or problems discovered during due diligence, and formulates sounds plans to mitigate problems
- Keeping up to date with market developments and all other areas that can affect the markets, e.g. movements in the economies of relevant countries.
- Advise portfolio companies on market developments and precautionary measures to be taken;
- Put in place appropriate post-investment portfolio management strategies and where appropriate represent CDC on governance boards in portfolio companies;
- Ensuring that Direct Investment team meet the compliance regulations;
- Develop collaborative working relationships with the other CDC teams, especially Funds, Debt, ESG, Legal and Finance;
- Track progress of investments against agreed measures including ESG
- University degree or equivalent qualification and, preferably, MBA or post-graduate professional qualification;
- Extensive Private Equity Investment experience into Food-processing and Agri business across a global market;
- Strategic thinker, able to formulate and implement sector strategies in the emerging markets context;
- Experience of structuring, negotiating and reviewing investment proposals;
- Equity valuation, financial structuring and experience of direct investing;
- Comfortable communicating with all levels of management internally and externally;
- Strong numerical, analytical and problem solving skills;
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage multiple projects effectively;
- Portfolio management or equivalent governance and/or line management experience, in a global markets food-processing or agribusiness context;
- Detailed working knowledge of and an active interest in food-processing and agribusiness companies; and
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values
Required professional competencies
- Ability to lead sector-mapping and to create a clear investment strategy within the domain of agribusiness and food-processing;
- Ability to understand requirements of various stakeholders in a project (government, regulator, contractors, customers, debt and equity financers, etc.)
- Strong financial analysis skills;
- Commercial judgment and ability to assess risk and opportunity in potential investments;
- Potential to develop relationships with management teams, intermediaries
- Familiarity with diligence processes, financial terms, legal terms, etc
- Understanding of portfolio management and ongoing relationships;
- Rigorous approach to due diligence and deal selection process and transaction management;
- Knowledge of food-processing and agribusiness, within a global market context;
- Makes sense of data by using judgment to come up with commercial assessments;
- Strong strategy development skills;
- Ability to develop deep relationships in our markets;
- Extensive portfolio management experience;
- Strong team working skills
- Focus on achievement of objectives
- Strong written and oral presentation skills
- Speaks out – makes intelligent contributions
- Works out solutions independently
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover note with your application.
Posted on 27th November 2017
Closing on 26th December 2017