- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2020.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 400 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
CDC has established a presence on the ground in Pakistan for the following reasons:
- To deepen CDC presence in the country given its strategic importance in South Asia and CDCs origination efforts across sectors and products. The on-ground presence is seen as crucial to identify and back the right sponsors of business from an ethics perspective.
- Monitor the current investment portfolio of CDC, influencing promoters and working to deliver our development and commercial goals.
- Evolve themes for future impact accelerator facility investments.
The Associate’s primary role is to support the country team in:
- Undertaking economic and specific sector research in order to develop country strategy and sector mapping.
- Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises and financial modelling.
- Contributing towards deal execution processes including working with due diligence advisors.
- Supporting in the post-deal management of the investment portfolio.
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities.
- Undertaking economic and sector specific research. This will include providing support to sector mapping exercises and preparing economic, sector and portfolio company updates.
- Conducting research in to specific businesses or projects including traveling to meet management teams and advisers.
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the pipeline and portfolio companies.
Evaluation, Due diligence, and deal execution:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate.
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies.
- Supporting execution teams working on new investment proposals.
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Assisting with reports to be presented to investment committee for approval and participating in the meetings
- Conducting detailed valuations on companies using various methods
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company and sector
- Drafting the relevant sections of credit / investment proposals
- Supporting role on monitoring the portfolio of existing investments / loans.
- Responsibilities include, in respect of specific existing investments / loans: reviewing company reports; analysing financial performance of the companies covering unit economics and profitability/cost drivers, reviewing market / competitive positioning, monitoring compliance with covenants (including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements); flagging any potential credit / performance issues by providing early warning signals and supporting the preparation of monitoring papers for review by relevant CDC committees.
- Strong relevant experience with Pakistan’s financial environment, preferably in corporate/investment banking, strategy, or equity research.
- University degree with Masters in Finance, Economics, Corporate Finance, or accounting degree. CFA, ACA or MBA would be an additional advantage.
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events.
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams
- An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel.
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
- Analytical and research skills (including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events).
- Credit analysis skills and ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements and make commercial assessments.
- Financial modelling and excel skills.
- Report writing capabilities.
- Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively.
- Good business communication and presentation skills.
- As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite.
We look for colleagues who are:
- Impact-led and commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.
Please provide a cover letter with your application