Location: London, UK
Employment Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 01 June 2018
The Associate will support the work of the debt team from the origination to the execution and monitoring of debt transactions across product sub-teams, including Project Finance, Corporate Lending, Financial Institutions lending, Trade Finance and Supply Chain Finance. This will include research and strategy work, the initial assessment of new opportunities, credit analysis, due diligence, and portfolio management activities, as required, as well as liaising with other relevant transaction support teams (Environmental and Social, Business Integrity and Development Impact).
An experienced Associate will be capable of:
• Analysing new debt propositions, preparing screening and credit proposals, as well as preparing monitoring papers.
• Completing discrete due diligence tasks such as company, industry and economic analysis.
• Reviewing legal documentation together with the internal legal team.
Due diligence, credit Analysis and deal execution:
• Supporting senior members of the team and colleagues working on new debt proposals.
• The Associate will be responsible for analysis, including: sector / market analysis; company / borrower analysis (including credit analysis financials and financial modelling); macro-economic analysis.
• Responsibility for drafting the relevant sections of credit proposals.
• Over time, the Associate will gain experience in all aspects of credit assessment and due diligence, and will take responsibility for a broader range of due diligence and deal completion related work.
• Supporting role on monitoring the portfolio of existing loans.
• Responsibilities include, in respect of specific existing loans: reviewing company reports; monitoring compliance with covenants; flagging any potential credit issues and preparing monitoring papers for review by CDC’s credit committee.
• Update internal systems such as eFront as required
Research and strategy:
• Contributing to sector/country strategies; collecting market data and other ad-hoc analysis/research activities relevant to CDC’s debt business.
• Keeping up-to-date with deal-flow, deal management and portfolio monitoring databases for all transactions covered by the debt team.
• At least two years of relevant experience within a DFI or commercial banking environment, preferably with exposure to Project Finance, Corporate Lending, lending to Financial Institutions (Bank and Non-Bank) or Receivables Finance (Supply Chain Finance / Reverse Factoring).
• University degree with Masters in Finance, Economics, Corporate Finance, or accounting degree. CFA, ACA or MBA would be an additional advantage.
• Analytical and research skills (including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events);
• Credit analysis skills and ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements and make commercial assessments;
• Financial modelling and excel skills;
• Ability to work on multiple opportunities across products and sectors while working to deadlines and managing time effectively;
• Good business communication and presentation skills;
• Evidence of relationship building and ability to develop a network of relevant external contacts, as well as internally across different teams;
• As a member of a small team, a flexible and “hands on” approach is a prerequisite;
• Foreign language skills, particularly those spoken in CDC’s geographies (e.g.
French, Portuguese etc.) would be an additional advantage;
• An active interest in investing in developing countries and understanding of emerging market environments, with a willingness to travel;
• Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values.
Candidate generic values/ traits
• Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition. This requires:
• An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives;
• Some evidence of these values is useful (e.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations);
• An appreciation of CDC’s activities and a passion to be part of CDC’s continued growth;
• History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields;
• Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves;
• The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests;
• An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires;
• Willingness to take time to support colleagues.
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
• Compassion is central to everything we do
• We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
• We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
• We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
• We oppose bureaucracy
• We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
• We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover note with your application.
Posted on 3 May 2018
Closing on 1 June 2018