Summer Intern, Environmental and Social Responsibility (ESR) (2 positions available)
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
CDC Group has a 70 year history of supporting private sector development in emerging markets. A key component of CDCs non-financial value add is the support we provide to investee companies and funds in relation to environmental and social (ESR) issues.
Over the past six years we have developed a range of good practice guidance tools (including CDC’s ESR Toolkit for Fund Managers), case studies and sustainability reviews, that aim to support our investees and the broader private sector investment community.
CDC wishes to expand these resources through the development of our 2018 sustainability review, further evolution of the materials on the ESR Toolkit and other products and guidance that help drive better ESR practices.
The Environmental and Social Responsibility (ESR) team have two Summer Internship opportunities for MBA or equivalent students for a 10-week period.
CDC submits an annual review of its ESR activities to the Principals for Responsible Investing (PRI). This report allows PRI to analyse the performance of CDC relative to other PRI members, but the format does not provide for an effective or easily digestible public summary of CDCs performance.
The intern will:
- review CDCs 2017-18 submission to understand what data has been captured and what narrative can be drawn from the report
- look at our 2016-17 sustainability review, and other annual ESR reports which have been prepared to gauge the approach and information other investors have reported on
- liaise with investment teams to ensure consistency and alignment with financial and commercial returns
- liaise with CDCs communications and media team to ensure output is consistent with CDC house style and broader 2018 planned communications
- Oversee production and printing by third parties
Assist with fresh inputs to the toolkit and specifically
- ‘Business Case’ evidence for better ESR Practices, including shorter simpler case studies from CDCs portfolio to populate the Toolkit
- create a “library” of credible research that evidences the business case for better ESR practices and a data base which can be interrogated by sector and business case driver
- work with the ESR Funds team, to identify additional developmental needs and updates to the Toolkit (likely to include the drafting of new content, interaction with web hosting, design company and others)
Support the ESR team in the development of other materials and guidance (to be determined), but which might include:
- developing a framework to track the footprint of our portfolio and renewable energy related investments across funds/equity/debt.
- developing a streamlined approach to measuring, reporting, verification for interventions funded by CDCs Resource Efficiency Facility
- methodology to measure ESR impact on exit valuations and multiples, and
- modern slavery/ human rights
- MBA student or equivalent with proven interest in development and sustainability issues
- Excellent written and analytical skills, with a proven ability to collate and verify data
- Ability to work independently and unaided, with evidence of ability to deliver quality products on time
- Working experience of emerging markets preferred
- Communication: Strong written/verbal communication skills to effectively carry out role
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee community
- Results Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
- Please provide a covering letter
- Please apply for a maximum of two Summer Internships, clearly stating your preference in your covering letter
- The closing date for applications will be 28 January 2018
- Salary: £47,055 pro–rated over 10 weeks
- Please note that CDC will not be able to provide relocation costs