Investment Associate, Construction & Real Estate, Equity Investments
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Founded 70 years ago, we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and South Asia with the aim of supporting economic development. CDC has net assets of £5.1bn, with over 1300 growing businesses in the portfolio.
- Last year we committed over £1billion of capital across 50 transactions.
- CDC is wholly owned by the UK government, who has committed a further £3.5bn of capital for CDC to deploy over the next two to three years.
- We are expanding our presence in Africa and South Asia with further new offices openings in 2019.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 300 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
The Equity Investments Group at CDC exists to employ commercial equity capital whilst also having a strong developmental impact. Over the last three years, the teams have deployed $1b+ across Africa and South Asia with a strong pipeline of additional investment opportunity. The Construction & Real Estate team targets sub-sectors such as affordable housing, urban development, logistics, mid-end hospitality and has committed over $130m of equity in 4 companies to date.
The Associate’s primary role is to support the senior members of the Construction & Real Estate Equity deal team. This will include assisting with:
- Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises, financial modeling, etc.
- Having responsibility for aspects of the deal processes including working on commercial, financial, tax and legal due diligence, typically alongside advisors
- Undertaking research into specific sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate in order to develop sector strategies
- Supporting the post-deal management of the investment portfolio
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities
- Preparation of valuation and presentation materials for investment committees
Alongside their day-to-day work, Construction & Real Estate Associates are part of a programme of informal mentoring and formal training designed to build both technical and soft skill programs overseen by a senior member of the investment team.
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies and projects
- Building or analysing financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Assisting with reports to be presented to investment committee for approval and participating in the meetings
- Conducting a detailed valuation on a company using various methods
- Updating the CDC Group eFront (database) on a regular basis
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, project, sector, and country
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific sectors on an ad-hoc basis. This will include providing support to a sector mapping exercise that is currently underway
- Undertaking research in to specific businesses or projects
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements
Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition. This requires:
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives, outside of personal motivations and strongly motivated by these aims
- Some evidence of these values is useful (E.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations)
- An appreciation of what CDC is doing and a real desire and passion to be part of CDCs next phase of development
- History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields
- Appropriate periods with each previous employer and explicable career moves
- The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests
- An understanding of the remuneration and its structure, with the trade-offs it requires and a level-headed degree of long-term comfort with it
- University degree or equivalent
- Relevant business experience. Exposure to emerging market finance, especially in Africa and Asia, is helpful
- Experience within real estate private equity and/or real estate focused investment banking, financial advisory or consulting is desirable
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events.
- Report writing, and advanced knowledge of Excel is imperative
- Good business communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage time effectively
- An active interest in investing in developing countries.
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values
- Ability to analyse a Company’s financial statements
- Strong excel modelling skills
- Ability to underwrite potential opportunities
- Experience in valuation techniques
- Ability to work on multiple deals across products and real estate sub-sectors
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and issues that businesses face
- Basic understanding of real estate private equity and the challenges/issues involved with this type of investment
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Ability to review financial analysis and make commercial assessments
- Good understanding of how to formulate ideas in order to originate deals
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to support investee companies
- Experience of structuring, reviewing and negotiating investment proposals
- Relationship building within and across different teams internally
Please include a one-page cover letter with your application
Role Posted: 3 January 2019
Role Closes: 1 February 2019