Investment Associate, Financial Institutions, Equity Investments
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
Team & Role Overview
The Equity Investments Group at CDC exists to employ commercial equity capital whilst also having a strong developmental impact. Over the last 5 years, the team have deployed $1b+ across Africa and South Asia with a strong pipeline of additional investment opportunity. The Financial Institutions (“FI”) Equity Investments team has deployed over $500m of this capital across nine equity investments in commercial banks, micro finance institutions and other non-banking finance companies. The team is currently also expanding into new sub-sectors including insurance and digital financial services.
The Associate’s primary role is to support the senior members of the FI Equity Investments team. This will include assisting with:
- Undertaking research into specific sub-sectors and countries that fit within the investment mandate to develop sub-sector strategies
- Maintaining the deal pipeline and filtering potential opportunities
- Evaluating new investment proposals or potential target businesses, including conducting financial analysis, valuation exercises, financial modelling, etc.
- Having responsibility for aspects of the deal processes including working with due diligence and other advisers
- Preparation of valuation and presentation materials for investment committees
- Supporting in the post-deal management of the investment portfolio
- Undertaking research into regions, countries and specific financial sub-sectors
- Undertaking research in to specific businesses or projects
- Keeping up to date with market developments and monitoring factors that can affect the markets and considering how these might affect the pipeline and portfolio companies
- Monitoring the financial news within the sector and updating the team of material information in the target countries, sector and companies
Evaluation of new investment proposals:
- Initial filtering of investment proposals for deals that fit within CDC’s developmental and investment mandate and FI strategy
- Analysing financial information relating to specific companies
- Building or analysing operating/financial models and conducting sensitivity analysis
- Assisting with reports to be presented to investment committee for approval and participating in the meetings
- Conducting a detailed valuation on a company using various methods (trading and transaction comps, DDMs, IRR models, etc.)
- Assisting with the due diligence on a specific company, sector, and country
- Preparing periodic reports and working with the deal teams to help in the monitoring of investees financial and strategic performance, including compliance with CDC’s Environment, Social and Governance requirements
Candidates must be strongly motivated by CDC’s proposition.
- An awareness of and appreciation for CDC’s objectives, outside of personal motivations and strongly motivated by these aims
- Some evidence of these values is useful (e.g., volunteering, career changes due to changing motivations)
- An appreciation of what CDC is doing and a real desire and passion to be part of CDCs next phase of development
- History of working with 'best in class' employers in their respective fields
- The flexibility and desire to spend time in the countries in which CDC invests
- University degree or equivalent
- Experience working specifically within the financial services sector (incl. banking, insurance, etc.).
- Exposure to emerging market finance, especially in Africa and Asia, is helpful
- Experience within private equity and/or investment banking or consulting is desirable
- Analytical, research and valuation skills, including the ability to analyse company reports, sector data, economics and relevant political events.
- Report writing and advanced knowledge of Excel is imperative
- Good business communication and presentation skills
- Ability to work to deadlines and manage time effectively
- An active interest in investing in developing countries
- Demonstrable alignment with CDC mandate, mission and values
- Ability to analyse financial statements
- Strong excel modelling skills
- Experience in valuation techniques
- Ability to work on multiple deals across products and sectors
- Basic commercial insight into the challenges and key drivers that financial institutions face
- Basic understanding of private equity and the challenges/issues involved with this type of investment
- Understanding of emerging market environments
- Ability to review financial analysis and make commercial assessments
- Good understanding of how to formulate ideas to originate deals
- Evidence of relationship building and ability to support investee companies
- Experience of structuring, reviewing and negotiating investment proposals
- Relationship building within and across different teams internally
Please include a one-page cover letter with your application
Role posted: 05/10/2018
Role closes: 03/11/2018