Events and Conferences Manager
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
- The Communications team undertakes proactive communications, to maintain confidence in, and enhance the reputation of, CDC’s work. We have responsibility for both internal and external communications.
- CDC’s role and significance as a development finance institution has grown significantly in the last few years and will continue to grow through to 2021. This is reflected not only in our growing employee base and our growing balance sheet, it is also reflected in our 2017 – 2021 Strategic Framework which sets out a clear ambition for CDC to become a thought leader and convenor on private sector development.
- To reach people in an engaging and effective way, the CDC Communications team and other teams across the organisation have begun to hold and support more events. This ranges from devising and arranging our own events (for internal and external audiences, on and off-site) through to sponsoring and attending third-party events and conferences. The success of these events means that there is demand to do more, both in the UK and overseas. We want to capitalise on this opportunity and build on this initial work, and this role will help us achieve that.
- In addition, we also have an ambition to devise a high-quality flagship event or conference to raise CDC’s profile and bring together various stakeholders to help us achieve our mission.
- With the Head of Strategic Communications, devise a co-ordinated strategy for all CDC-run events, both at a corporate level and at an individual team level, to support CDC’s thought leadership approach.
- Produce events that are engaging, fresh and explore new and innovative formats (while consistency is necessary to a certain extent, we want to avoid formats becoming stale or too formulaic).
- Promote events across relevant channels, liaising with other communications colleagues and third parties as appropriate.
- Research and advise on third-party events that CDC should engage with at a corporate level.
- Co-ordinate the delivery of internal events, ensuring that internal support staff (such as the reception team and our facilities and IT staff) are well-equipped / coordinated to deliver consistent and high-quality events.
- Liaise with CDC teams to establish their event objectives and requirements and support delivery as appropriate, including supporting teams to negotiate sponsorship agreements and coaching them to deliver smaller events themselves.
- Ensure that we have and maintain appropriate systems, tools and resources for running events effectively, including event management systems, data management, exhibition stands, banners, suppliers and venue lists.
- Support the identification and training of CDC’s top speakers.
- Ensure that all events – large or small – are executed in line with CDC’s brand guidelines.
- Manage all pre-event planning, including organising guest speakers, delegate packs, and producing detailed planning documents as appropriate (for example, timelines, venues, suppliers, legal obligations, staffing and budgets).
- Manage and coordinate suppliers and all event logistics (including venue, catering, travel) to ensure the smooth running of events.
- Ensure that events run to budget.
- Ensure that all insurance, legal, health and safety obligations are followed.
- Conduct event evaluation to inform future events and strategy.
We are looking for an individual with energy and ambition to produce engaging and different events at different scales. Ranging from internal employee events to VIP dinners to large receptions, conferences and summits, the right candidate will be able both to support CDC teams so that they can deliver high quality events themselves and take charge of devising much larger or more high-profile events. Strong negotiation skills to ensure budget control and value for money is important.
The successful candidate will have a strong track record of devising new formats and introducing innovation and tech. They will be confident about presenting bold new visions and ideas, and evaluating success objectively.
Creative, resourceful and strategic in their approach, this person will take an overview of all events activity to help us direct resources efficiently. They will be collaborative, bringing together virtual teams, suppliers and partners to create success. However, they will be just as comfortable getting to grips with details, being hands on and bringing their own vision and ideas to life.
The role will require some overseas travel. Ability to speak French is desirable.
Alongside all of this we are looking for someone who cares about our mission and will be able to relay the passion that we all feel for what we do.
- Proven experience leading and executing events of varying sizes, including for C-suite and / or VIPs.
- Proven track record of creating new events and introducing new formats and techniques.
- Proven relationship management both internally and externally.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills – clarity and conciseness of expression.
- Strong negotiation and budget management.
- CRM and online event management tools.
- Strong understanding of data protection requirements.
- Familiar with social media, in particular Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Adobe Illustrator / Photoshop highly desirable.
- Ability to speak French or other languages used in our markets is desirable.
- Collaborative – this role will involve working across teams, and will involve bringing people together to reach agreement on positioning.
- Open to giving and receiving feedback.
- Energetic style and can-do attitude.
- Able to prioritise and delegate: many events will need to be delivered through our teams.
- Able to coach and train others on how to deliver high quality events.
We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Role posted: 13 July 2018
Role closes: 27 July 2018