Associate, CIOs Office
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The OCIO is responsible for managing the investment process, analysing the performance and risk of CDC’s portfolio and pipeline, supporting strategic planning, and facilitating knowledge sharing across CDC.
The Associate’s primary role will be to work with the Portfolio Analytics team to help deliver insightful analysis of CDC’s investments, providing performance metrics and forecast pipeline development. The CIOs function drives knowledge sharing across the investment teams building a collegiate environment which is able to respond to ad hoc requests from deal teams, management and governmental departments.
This will include:
- Gathering, validating, and manipulating data on investment performance and risk to facilitate portfolio management and high quality investment decision-making
- Producing analytical reports to facilitate management and Board oversight of CDC investment
- Working with investment teams and management to facilitate high quality, well informed decision-making processes
- Contributing to the establishment and maintenance of knowledge sharing tools
- Responding to ad hoc requests as needed
- Creating and maintaining key databases needed to provide on demand reports and assessments of portfolio performance and risk
- Working with Portfolio Analytics team to design and carry out data analysis for use by the Executive Committee and the Board in overseeing and managing CDC’s investment operations
- Identifying areas of risk and contribution to risk mitigation and management strategies
- Supporting and contributing to production of both regular and ad hoc reports on various aspects of CDC’s portfolio
- Liaising with deal teams on integration of portfolio performance data into investment deal structuring
- Supporting management of content and updating of OCIO research portal on intra-net
- Contributing to corporate and team strategic planning as required
- MBA or equivalent credential with strong interest in overseas investment and in the use of analytics to support investment
- Professional experience gathering, validating, and applying information in the investment process and/or in strategic planning
- Strong skills in analytics, ideally with professional experience in an investment firm or equivalent
- Experience working independently and unaided, with evidence of ability to deliver quality products on time and to required quality
- Demonstrable interest in development finance in emerging markets (professional experience in relevant markets would be desirable)
- Communication: Strong written/verbal communication skills to effectively carry out role
- Team Working: Collaboration with own team and the larger employee communityResults Focus: Drive to achieve objectives/results
- Personal Effectiveness: Organising self/teams to meet agreed deadlines
- Influencing/Persuading: Ability to obtain agreement and cooperation in a ‘win-win’ fashion
- Excellent analytical skills and a proven ability to research and collate data
- Ability to draw conclusions and present ideas
- Good knowledge of Excel. Financial modelling skills would be advantageous but are not required
- Some knowledge of relevant markets and sectors
- Understanding of Private Equity and the challenges inherent in this type of investment
- Knowledge of the investment process is preferred but not essential
- We look for candidates who share our culture and reflect our identity, the CDC identities are described as follows:
- Compassion is central to everything we do
- We owe our clients and prospective clients a fast and thoughtful process
- We accept the tough challenges inherent in our mission
- We are quick and non-defensive when things go wrong
- We oppose bureaucracy
- We never forget that we are investing and spending tax payers’ money
- We promote a fulfilling work environment
Please submit a cover note with your application.
Posted on 31 January 2018
Closing on 02 March 2018