Executive, CDC Plus, Value Creation Strategies
- Our mission is to support the building of businesses throughout Africa and South Asia, to create jobs and make a lasting difference to people’s lives in some of the world’s poorest places.
- We aim to invest in countries where we can have the greatest impact. In countries where the private sector is weak and jobs are scarce.
- We invest in sectors where growth leads to jobs – both directly and indirectly. In sectors such as manufacturing, agribusiness, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education. Last year, the businesses we invest in created more than a million jobs.
- We are successful because we are a high quality investment organisation, using the best commercial skills and judgement to make investments in great companies and support them to grow over the long term. We therefore want to attract people with these skills but who are motivated to use them to dramatically improve the private sector in Africa and South Asia
- For further information, please visit our website cdcgroup.com
The individual in this role will work with the CDC Plus Manager to provide leadership and guidance on CDCs Grant Making Strategy. The CDC Plus Executive will be responsible for monitoring a substantial portion of the portfolio of value creation projects funded using grants. As such they will ideally come with experience of managing grant funded programmes and/or other project management experience. M&E experience or expertise would also be valuable but is not critical in the role. It is recognised that delivery and success of projects funded with CDC grants will only be achieved through the combined efforts and leveraged experiences of staff across CDC, and the efficient and effective influence of CDC staff on investments, investees and other key stakeholders in our markets. As such, the individual in this role will need to maintain collaborative relationships across CDC and bring/build a network of contacts across our markets.
The duties, tasks and responsibilities will vary to some extent depending on the portfolio of opportunities that arise and will, of necessity, remain flexible as strategies evolve.
The purpose of this position is to provide leadership over the design, approval and implementation of a high-quality portfolio of grant funded projects in order to drive greater impact in CDC’s portfolio and address challenges in its sectors and markets. The individual in this role will be excited to work with the CDC Plus Manager to build this new team within CDC, recognising that their role and career will evolve and grow rapidly with the function if successful.
The Executive CDC Plus will work with the CDC Plus Manager to:
- Be responsible for the strategic development, evolution and oversight of CDC Plus
- Collaborate with others to incubate and shape new initiatives for CDC Plus funding
- Provide oversight and quality assurance on all CDC Plus applications, reports and forecasts
- Work with CDC teams and investees to optimise the impact of the CDC Plus project portfolio
- Build a high-quality team of professionals that can support CDC Plus objectives (coaching and mentoring all junior members of the team and directly managing one or two members of the team)
- Maintain high quality relationships with key internal and external stakeholders relating to TA and grants including CDC Board, DfID, other TA funders and CDC deal teams
- Contribute to learning across CDC Plus project portfolio and between CDC Plus projects and other CDC initiatives/teams
The candidate must have:
- A clear understanding of and alignment with CDC’s mission and purpose as a development finance institution.
- Significant work experience in a relevant field including time spent in the private sector.
- Work experience in development countries, preferably in Africa and/or South Asia.
- University degree (MBA, Economics, or International Development degree)
- Project management/consultancy experience
- Commercial experience in Africa and Asia is an advantage
- Experience in operating or using technical assistance or grant facilities is an advantage
- A practical and results oriented individual who has a proven record of delivering effective and high impact solutions and change on the ground
- Excellent listening, facilitation and presentation skills
- Practical, hands-on team and project management experience
- A persuasive communicator who can educate and influence both internal and external audiences about the nature and extent of CDC’s impact
- Appetite and experience in planning and monitoring projects and project teams
- First rate problem solver
- High standards for project delivery and execution
- Proven people management experience
- Ability to critically examine propositions
Posted on: 30 August 2018
Closes on: 28 September 2018