Team and role overview
CDC’s Development Impact Management team is market-leading and provides technical leadership to assess, manage and evaluate the impact of our investments. CDC’s objective is to push the boundaries in impact management within a world-class impact framework. So we take an active approach to impact management, utilising an impact management framework based on the Impact Management Project’s consensus and the Operating Principles for Impact Management.
Our impact professionals work working side by side with our investment teams to actively manage the impact of every investment we make. This approach is designed to create deals teams with the professional capability and expertise to reflect our mandate to improve people’s lives and make a financial return.
CDC’s Development Impact Management team is made up of 14 people and operates a matrix structure of Managers organised by sector or region (e.g. Financial Services, Infrastructure & Climate, South Asia) supported by embedded leads organised by sub-sectors and generalists who work across products, sectors and regions.
The role(s) focus on ensuring effective and high-quality impact management consistent with CDC’s Impact Framework. This will either be in the context of our Infrastructure & Climate Group, or of our SMART group which includes several subsectors, including consumer and business services, manufacturing, agriculture, real estate and technology. Depending on your seniority, you may be given oversight responsibility for the relevant portfolio and people management responsibilities. The position will be expected to play an active role in the investment process, working with investees to enhance their impact and supporting the development of the wider Development Impact team. Specific responsibilities will be driven by priorities and the dynamic needs of the team at the time, but are expected to include the following:
Leadership of impact management, including accountability for impact management for the relevant portfolio, work planning for the investment teams’ resources and relationship management (internally and with investee companies):
- You will provide impact leadership and oversight to the investment portfolio. This will include CDC’s strategies, pipeline and portfolio management activities and entail effective impact management prioritisation, resourcing, issue identification and resolution.
- Building CDC’s impact management capability and providing impact management advice which is consistent with CDC’s Impact Management Framework, priorities and precedents.
- Support the development of impact-led investment strategies, supporting origination of investments where CDC can make the greatest difference to people’s lives and the planet.
Delivery of impact management activities (supported by Sector Executives and cross-cutting resources) for CDC’s investment portfolio.
- Assess development impact as part of the investment due diligence process. Working seamlessly with investment team colleagues to inform the investment decision and define the impact objectives.
- Develop a high-quality development impact dashboard for each investment based on the Impact Management Project’s consensus which will involve desk research, facilitating discussions, due diligence and managing external suppliers where necessary. As part of the deal team supporting investment professionals through the investment process including at Investment Committee.
- Actively manage and support investments to enhance the impact by participating in the design and implementation of initiatives and partnerships. Work directly and coaching investees and sharing knowledge and lessons learnt of best practice.
- Define the monitoring plan for the investment and collect the impact metrics to track actual impact of investments, ensuring analysis is timely and high quality.
- Assess how investments are performing against their initial development objectives, determining when course corrections are required and completing exit reviews, feeding back learning to the investment team and the broader organisation. Building the capability of the Development Impact team and our impact framework and processes.
Support the continual development of CDC’s impact management framework ensuring tools, systems and capabilities remain world class. All Manager roles are expected to lead on developing specific areas of the framework.
- Represent CDC and build, maintain and leverage a network of leading impact managers across funds and other intermediated investments. Build CDC’s brand within the impact management sector.
- All Manager roles are expected to include people management, coaching and development responsibilities.
- Supporting the development of the overall capability of the Development Impact team through oversight and coaching of team members. Supporting the upskilling of CDC staff more broadly on effective impact management.
- Strong academic credentials. Preferably a Master’s in Economics, Development Economics or equivalent analytical post graduate degree.
- Strong work experience in a relevant field, preferably as an impact manager within impact investment or, at a minimum, with a good grounding in development impact management with a private sector mindset.
- Work experience in developing countries, preferably in Africa and/or South Asia.
- Experience in management positions.
- Practical understanding of impact management, private sector development and how to achieve development outcomes through investment.
- Experience of making high quality judgment calls to make impact investment decisions and manage impact outcomes. Conscious of costs and benefits and capability to explain opportunities and challenges to investee companies.
- Understanding of underlying commercial strategies and ability to consider development impact in an entrepreneurial and pragmatic manner.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills. Confident dealing with complexity and can combine objective quantitative analysis with expert qualitative judgment. Confident in managing data and collating and presenting evidence.
- Good knowledge and network of third parties in impact management who can be leveraged to help deliver enhanced impact with our investee companies.
- Track record in management: Organising team to meet agreed deadlines and drive productivity and cohesion. Strong project management, analysis and reporting skills, with the ability to deliver data and insights informed strategic approaches. Able to prioritise tasks and manage multiple work streams simultaneously in a complex and fast-moving environment.
- Strong communication skills: the ability to describe complex development impact scenarios with accuracy and concision and the ability to explain development impact to non-professionals and across a range of cultural backgrounds.
- Self-starter with a bias for action who is resilient, with a problem-solving approach.
- Proven capability of effective team work and strong stakeholder/relationship management.
- The role will require regular travel, mostly within Africa and South Asia to work with investees.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex or sexual orientation.