ELEXON is vital to the smooth operation of the wholesale electricity market. We compare how much electricity generators and suppliers said they would produce or consume with what they produced or consumed, using metered volumes. We work out a price for the difference and transfer funds accordingly, and this involves handling £1.5 billion of market participants’ funds each year.
The governance surrounding this are set out in the Balancing and Settlement Code (BSC), which is effectively a multiparty contract that ELEXON administers while providing and procuring the services required to deliver it. Our expertise and impartiality ensure our customers have confidence that the BSC is operated both efficiently and accurately. We operate on a not for profit basis, and we believe this ensures we deliver market-leading customer service that sets us apart from other code administrators.
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Data Architect to join a growing team at ELEXON in implementing our new data strategy. You will work closely with senior stakeholders and cross functional product teams to successfully execute an in-flight digital transformation initiative.
You will need to be familiar with working in a fast paced agile environment, and have experience working with system integrator teams, based across multiple geographies and in different organizations.
This role offers the opportunity to use a wide range of skills to deliver an advanced cloud based technical solution with modern architecture patterns and technologies. You will need to translate business requirements into technical solutions, and effectively communicate with product teams on your design. A key part of your role will be leading engineering teams to ensure conformation to your design, and governance through a well formulated process.
The ideal candidate will combine excellent technical skills and communications expertise with a collaborative approach that will demonstrate the value of communications and stakeholder engagement.
- Define principles and requirements for ELEXON's data architecture and ensure that all solutions adhere to them.
- Define data platform capabilities and features that align to current and future business operating models and maturity.
- Own and drive incremental evolution of the enterprise data governance strategy
- Own enterprise data map including logical model, data lineage & transmission detail
- Promote a cohesive business wide view of data assets
- Influence the current business operating model and design for future data governance, data engineering and BI.
- Design blueprints to realize data related aspects of the business strategy including architecture capabilities and high level solution architectures for current and proposed business services and lead proof of concepts.
- Provide technical leadership in transforming requirements to solutions and technical designs, while working as a key member of cross functional product team(s); distributed across multiple geographies and organizations
- Provide advice and support in performance tuning, troubleshooting, cost optimization and other implementation and operational challenges.
- Quality review solution providers high and low level solution designs ensuring they align to the data architecture and policies.
- Participate in industry wide initiatives with the regulator and other parties to influence national system wide data architecture.
To be considered for this role:
- Minimum of 8 years working as a data architect or data solutions architect.
- Solid data modelling skills covering conceptual, logical and physical models for relational and non-relational data stores and different types of data models e.g. 3NF, dimensional, UML.
- Technical and operational design of MDM, Data Quality and Data Governance processes and solutions.
- Ability to realize different business capabilities in the data platform including self-service reporting, ad-hoc user created data mash-ups, data science lifecycle and machine learning while defining the operating models and governance policies and processes that are required to for each scenario.
- Experience architecting cloud native solutions.
- Good understanding of the entire development life cycle from analysis of requirements to testing and project management
- Good understanding of the architecture and characteristics of relevant data platforms and access patterns to provide leadership to development teams and evaluate design decisions. Including but not limited to: Relational databases such as Oracle, SQL Server, MySQL (on-prem and PaaS), NoSQL databases such as Cosmos Db & Mongo, Big Data and analytics platforms such as HD Insight, Azure Data Lake Analytics and Streaming platforms such as Azure Stream Insight, Apache Kafka etc.
- Deep understanding of the concepts behind data pipeline architectures having designed high performing ingestion, transformation and analytic solutions (10’s millions row/day) on both relational and NoSQL platforms, being familiar with traditional and cloud based ETL/ELT & streaming offerings.
- Good understanding of the Azure cloud offerings.
- Exposure to a range of BI, visualization and reporting technologies being able to balance strengths and weaknesses against business requirements.
- Modelling & architecture tools such as Sparx EA, ErWin, Idera Er/Studio
- Exposure to statistical platforms such as R, SAS, Python and the data science lifecycle.
- Understanding of and basic skills in development languages and patterns as they affect data solutions e.g. C# on .Net, Microservices patterns.
In return, ELEXON provides;
- Competitive salary
- Hybrid working available (weekly: remote and office based)
- 28 days annual holiday (not including national holidays)
- Annual bonus scheme
- Extensive range of benefits
- Annual pay review
- Generous training opportunities
ELEXON actively encourages inclusivity and is recognised by its employees for valuing their wellbeing, which is a consistent outcome from annual employee surveys that we conduct. Likewise, as a community, we like to support each other, and all agree ELEXON is a great place to work. Especially during these difficult times, where we have embraced remote working and ensured continuity and engagement via our online platforms.