A bit about us…
We live in an increasingly virtual world. The data we share every day reflects our identities. And this data offers a massive opportunity for businesses that understand it.
But it’s a balancing act; identity is a deeply personal matter. As a result, companies need to treat their customers as individuals not just business opportunities. That’s where we, at GBG, come in. We believe everyone should be able to conduct business safely and efficiently, everywhere. And we do that by using identity intelligently.
At GBG, we're building a culture of engagement built on being clear on the desired outcomes, and then giving people the support and flexibility to deliver. We have ambitious aspirations though, so there's also accountability, but this comes with recognition for results. We're entering new markets and territories, and growing fast (currently over 600 people across 21 locations, on 4 continents). To help us achieve this we ensure every employee, irrespective of their role or location, is clear on our plans and then provide absolute transparency for how we're tracking against it. We do this via our VOS2020 (Vision, Objectives, Strategies) which is broken down to departmental and even team member level, and guides us towards 2020. This provides exciting opportunities for growth, personally and professionally.
The Technology Team…
The Technology team is the engine that supports and delivers Identity Data Intelligence globally and at pace.
The Role… (Vision)
As a java software engineer you will work within a team of likeminded individuals to design and implement quality software solutions to criteria defined by the product owner.
Your initial focus will be on the delivery of one of GBG’s most valued customer focused projects during which you will build an SOA platform to support future projects by leveraging the latest in ESB & NoSQL technologies.
What you’ll do… (Objectives)
- Design, implement & deliver quality software solutions on time and to specification
- Act proactively to overcome technical challenges
- Collaborate with other team members, including product owners, testers & architects
- Adopt and encourage a culture of continuous improvement
- Adopt new technologies and processes as appropriate
How you’ll deliver it… (Strategies)
- These will be determined by you, in collaboration with your manager, and you’ll update them regularly to keep your contribution relevant as we evolve. You’ll do this via your Personal VOS.
To help you be successful, we’re looking for…
- Experience designing & implementing in Java
- Experience assisting others with software design
- Experience using a test driven approach
- Experience designing and integrating into RESTful services
- Experience writing Neo4j Cypher and unmanaged extensions
- Experience working with an ESB and in particular authoring Mule flows
- A desire to work within a proactive and highly collaborative team
With a rich heritage of more than 30 years, offices in 16 locations worldwide and more than 1,000 team members globally, GBG proudly stand as the global technology specialist in fraud, location and identity data intelligence. We support businesses and enable customer growth by protecting companies and governments to combat fraud and cybercrime, lower cost of compliance and improve customer digital onboarding experience in today’s digital economy.
The role fits in the Product Delivery team, within the global Technology function at GBG, working to ensure that GBG deliver a world-class experience for all our customers globally.
The DevOps Engineer works within the Deploy Centre of Excellence (CoE) which focuses on the strategic design, build, implementation, support and improvement of core platforms and technologies that underpin the build and deployment of GBG products and services consumed by GBG customers.
The DevOps Engineer is to support the design, build and implementation of successful continuous integration and deployment pipelines, ensuring operability and supportability of GBG production platforms, enabling quality and pace in delivery. Collaborating with other Product Delivery CoEs and the Operational Support teams to evolve our business DevOps capability, managing and delivering the deployment pipelines for strategic products and platforms and ensuring the right level of telemetry, instrumentation and performance monitoring is built into our products and services from inception to deliver success to GBG and its customers.
What you will do…
- Work with Product Delivery squads to implement, enhance and manage continuous integration practices
- Work Product Delivery squads to design release and deployment pipelines; and hold responsibility for the management, delivery and improvement of deployments into production.
- Support the automated deployment of infrastructure into cloud platforms.
- Take a leading role in the design, integration and implementation of monitoring tools for GBG platforms, seeking continual improvement and ensuring effective transition into Operational Support.
- Be the point of expertise, escalation and authority in the use of tooling for delivery and operations usage.
- Use your development skills and design new processes and procedures for tooling integration with application and cloud infrastructure.
- Liaise closely with other Product Delivery CoE’s and Operational Support to design, build and implement operability and supportability of production best practice for production systems.
- Provide a best in class 3rd Line support for strategic core platforms, optimising performance and reliability.
- Share your personal knowledge and experience to uplift skills and competencies of team members and colleagues in your expert area.
- Proactively identify trends to address problems before they become incidents.
- Continually develop skills, competencies and knowledge to support your personal development and actively participate in setting and achieving performance objectives for self, team and technology.
To enable you to be successful, we are looking for…
- Experience working in a DevOps culture, understanding importance of business drivers and use of tooling to deliver value work streams
- Proven experience supporting Cloud based solutions (technology agnostic, Google Cloud and AWS preferred)
- Proven design experience implementing tools and processes, specifically relating to monitoring and distributed tracing.
- Excellent knowledge and proven experience implementing continuous integration, continuous deployment and integrating application monitoring tools
- Experience with containerisation and/or serverless components(Kubernetes strongly preferred) or the ability to demonstrate a deep understanding supporting and monitoring 1000’s of service components.
- Experience of APM/Monitoring tools i.e. InfluxDB and Prometheus
- Experience with distributed tracing tools, i.e. OpenTracing, Zipkin
- Experience with Continuous Integration Tooling i.e. GitLab, Jenkins TeamCity
- Experience with of Release and Deployment Tooling (such as Spinnaker, Harness.io, Azure Devops or Octopus)
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code and configuration management tools (such as Chef, Terraform, Saltstack)
- Strong scripting skills and/or experience of code languages (such as Bash, Powershell, Python)
- Familiarity with administrating relational databases and NoSQL
- A good understanding of common Operating Systems i.e. Windows server, Linux(Ubuntu)
- Ability to work to deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent collaborative and communication skills
- Experience of Agile delivery working practices.
- Leading and Deciding: takes control and exercises leadership. Initiates action, gives direction.
- Supporting and Co-operating: supports others and shows respect and positive regard for them in all situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams, clients and staff. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement those of the organisation.
- Analysing and Interpreting: shows evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues. Applies own expertise effectively. Quickly learns new technology. Communicates well in writing.
- Creating and Conceptualising: rapidly learns new tasks and commits information to memory quickly; demonstrates an immediate understanding of newly presented information. Produces new ideas, approaches, or insights; creates innovative products or designs; produces a range of solutions to problems.
- The role will report into the DevOps lead
- The role will include taking part in a 24/7/365 support rota