Operational Support Engineer
The role fits in the Business Systems & Operations team within the global Technology function at GBG, working to ensure that GBG deliver a world-class experience for all our customers, suppliers and team members globally.
Specifically, the Operational Support Engineer works within Operational Support, a 2nd line technical function, providing a gateway service between 1st line Customer Support and Technology 3rd line Product Delivery for supported products and services, consumed by GBG Customers. The team is formed of customer orientated, product knowledgeable, process driven and technically skilled professionals; whose purpose is to proactively operate and monitor live service to identify, respond and prevent customer issues, whilst providing a feedback loop to ensure continual service improvement for an outstanding customer service experience.
…of the Operational Support Engineer is to proactively monitor, operate and support products and services consumed by GBG customers. The team member will help our customer facing teams to onboard and integrate new customers. They will provide technical support on operational or production customer issues 24/7/365 (outside of core working hours) including monitoring, trending and alerting for service availability and service performance, whilst ensuring our systems are secure and healthy. Key to the role is the robust application of technical product and system knowledge and the application of process to support timely resolution and communication of issues.
What you will do…
- Provide a best in class customer service to GBG customers and a best in class 2nd line technical and operational support service to GBG 1st line Customer Support and GBG Technology 3rd line Product Delivery functions
- Provide a 24/7/365 (outside of core working hours) support service and participate in a call-out rota to protect GBG products and customers against service outages and degradation
- Continually develop and maintain a knowledge base to increase the rate of incident fix for GBG products and services, escalating to 3rd line teams where required
- Consistently apply best practice process for Incident, Problem, Requests and Event Management
- Maintain communication and collaboration with business teams to ensure key updates are communicated to agreed standards
- Regularly review and analyse incidents to identify problems, workarounds, fixes and improvements opportunities
- Regularly review, amend and proactively analyse monitoring trends to identify availability and performance risks to services
- Maintain availability and security operations to agreed standards schedules, keeping systems healthy and secure
- Maintain application and service configuration adhering to GBG Change Control process and deployment procedures
- Consistently apply best practice process for Incident, Problem, Requests and Event Management, ensuring KPIs and SLAs are achieved
- Maintain a strong partnership with internal stakeholders including Business Unit Leaders, GBG 1st line Customer Support and Technology 3rd line Product Delivery teams to ensure technical customer support needs are met
- Continually develop skills, competencies and knowledge to support your personal development
To enable you to be successful, we are looking for…
- Experienced in a 2nd line Technical Operations or Support role
- Good experience of bespoke business solutions and products, including the ability to demonstrate and troubleshoot the relationship between business customer services and underpinning technology components (web, Middleware/Applications, Databases, Infrastructure)
- Good application of support process, including Incident, Problem, Request, Event and Change Management
- Good experience providing a best in class customer service to end users, including regular meaningful communication
- Good application of technical procedures and maintaining technical knowledge base to rapidly resolve issues
- Good understanding of operational monitoring tooling, integration and configuration to capture events on throughput, performance and capacity (Application Monitoring, Synthetics, Web)
- Good experience interrogating and committing configuration changes to databases (SQL, MongoDB, RDS)
- Good experience supporting infrastructure (Linux/Windows) and/or Cloud Technologies (AWS, Azure, Google)
- Performance driven to ensure business and technology can be evidenced against agreed SLAs, CSFs and KPIs
- Experience of ITIL operational support working practices
- Experience of Release and Deployment Tooling
- Experience of scripting and automation (PowerShell, Bash)
- Experience adhering to security standards and technologies operations (ISO27001/PCI, SSL, encryption, DDoS)
- Experience of QA test and Development coding practices
- Supporting and Co-operating: supports others and shows respect and positive regard for them in all situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams, customers and team members. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement those of the organisation.
- Analysing and Interpreting: shows evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues. Applies own expertise effectively. Quickly learns new technology. Communicates well in writing.
- Organising and Executing: plans ahead and works in a systematic and organised way. Follows directions and procedures. Focuses on customer satisfaction and delivers a quality service or product to the agreed standards.
- The role will report into the Head of Operational Support.
- The role is open to internal ‘junior’ applicants aspiring to this role.
- The role will include taking part in a 24/7/365 outside of core working hours support rota