Application Support Engineer, Nottingham - UK
…is a key 2nd line responsibility to the availability, operability, support and security of Products and Services delivered to GBG Customers. The team ensures delivery of business services to customers through support of the underpinning application components. The team is a key liaison for GBG 1st line customer support and GBG 3rd line delivery teams; and has in depth knowledge of the customer journey, utilising technology, tools and skills to ensure high levels of operability and supportability.
…is a technology Application Support Engineer, working within a 2nd line customer and service orientated team of Application Engineers. The Application Support Engineer works with the Tech Lead and Team Lead/ Team Manager and other key stakeholders to support, operate and deliver business objectives. Key aspects of the role include adoption of existing, new and emerging technology, transition and maintenance of monitoring and alerting technologies, contribute to the build process and actively support the transition of new features, functions and tools into production environments and team ownership. The Application Support Engineer will be part of continuous improvement plans, finding creative technical solutions to team and business problems. Automation is a critical aspect of the role, enabling efficient and smart utilization of team resource and playing an important role in achieving our business and technology objectives.
What you will do…
- Provide 2nd Line operational and technical support and escalation for 1st line GBG teams and customers
- Collaborate with GBG 3rd line Support and Delivery teams to maintain service availability and performance
- Maintain operability standards for both availability and security of applications and service components
- Contribute to the review and adoption of new, emerging and existing technologies, leveraging benefits to improve availability, operational and support objectives
- Maintain application and service configuration adhering to GBG Change Control process
- Maintain and update service and application monitoring and alerting capability utilising technology/tools and ensuring a proactive approach to system availability and performance.
- Continually develop skills and competencies to improve knowledge and support of GBG Products, Services and application components
- Maintain compliance and operational security standards in support of ISO27001, PCI or as applicable
- Actively contribute to planning, delivery and prioritisation of team workload, promoting autonomy and tracking progress through measurable and quantifiable actions
- Continually manage and update documentation to ensure all technical and business process documents are up to date.
- Provide application and business service Release and Deployment for production services.
To enable you to be successful, we are looking for…
- Excellent troubleshooting & triage skills
- Proven experience in a 2nd line Technology Support role, including business applications, previous experience as a tech lead would be desirable but is not essential for this role
- Ability to demonstrate the lifecycle between business service and underpinning applications
- Experience of Incident and Problem Management procedures (following ITIL work flow)
- Experience of AGILE methodologies to lead and manage workload i.e. Scrum, Kanban/Sprint, planning sessions and retrospectives
- Experience supporting Linux Operating Systems and Windows Server 2008/2012/2016 etc
- Experience of working with SQL databases (MSSQL or MySQL).
- Experience maintaining core operations including some scripting and automation (PowerShell & bash)
- Experience of writing technical documentation on the installation, configuration and use of applications
- Experience of SSL/encryption management
- Ideally some experience in PaaS cloud technologies
- Ideally some experience in release management and deployment tools
- Ideally some experience in developing requirements for monitoring of applications
- Supporting and Co-operating - Supports others and shows respect and positive regard for them in social situations. Puts people first, working effectively with individuals and teams, clients and staff. Behaves consistently with clear personal values that complement those of the organisation.
- Analysing and Interpreting - Shows evidence of clear analytical thinking. Gets to the heart of complex problems and issues. Applies own expertise effectively. Quickly learns new technology. Communicates well in writing.
- Organising and Executing – Plans ahead and works in a systematic and organised way. Follows directions and procedures. Focuses on customer satisfaction and delivers a quality service or product to the agreed standards.
- The role will report into the Application Support Team Leader or Team Manager
- The role is based in our Nottingham office, and may include limited travel to other GBG offices to liaise with other teams that support or deliver respective GBG Products and Services.