Head of Sustainable Food and Packaging
We are an organisation of two vital and interconnected communities: Commercial Insight and Social Impact. Together, we are working to drive change that makes a tangible difference for Society, Business and the Individual.
We connect our industry
We are a trusted partner with unrivalled insight and foresight across our industry. We give our customers a better understanding of how to unlock success and where our industry is going.
We make a difference by giving our customers the ability to meet everyday challenges and adapt to changing futures.
We influence change
We have a unique ability to convene stakeholders across our industry to address the economic, social, and environmental issues that matter to us all.
Together, we drive change to make a significant, tangible difference and deliver social impact.
Purpose of the job
- Ensure the successful development and delivery of Sustainable Food and Packaging programmes to maximise our social impact
- Develop thought leadership to inform the future direction of our Sustainability strategy in line with external and internal stakeholder priorities
- Help develop a network of external stakeholders across industry, academia, government and not for profit organisations to inform and drive the impact of our Sustainability programmes
- Lead and develop a cross functional team of IGD colleagues and consultants
AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY
1) Programme development and delivery
- Responsible for leading the design and implementation of IGD industry programmes across Sustainable Food (including food waste reduction and food surplus redistribution) and Packaging
- Working with Director of Health and Sustainability Programmes and Head of Climate Change and Sustainable Supply Chains, identify and develop new workstreams to shape our long-term Sustainability strategy
- Monitor and analyse trends and customer feedback across Sustainable Food and Packaging agendas to identify opportunities for future development and continuous improvement
- Responsible for oversight and review of all relevant content (reports, briefing notes, toolkits, online content, etc) to ensure accuracy and consistency
2) Team Management and planning
- Lead and develop a cross functional team to secure the annual business plan KPIs for your areas of responsibility
- Report on progress against KPIs on a monthly basis - identifying risks, opportunities and recommending contingencies
- Create and manage the annual budget across your areas of responsibility
- Lead the annual business planning process for your area and help inform long term strategic planning
3) Stakeholder management and communication
- Work with colleagues to ensure relevant industry working groups are highly engaged with IGD and help deliver impact
- Work with colleagues across the Charity team and wider IGD to develop and maintain a network of external stakeholders to support our programmes
- Represent IGD at meetings with key stakeholders including government departments and agencies
- Work in partnership with the Marketing team to develop effective communications plans to raise awareness and drive engagement with our sustainability programmes.
- Champion sustainability activities across IGD, ensuring internal understanding and supporting colleagues with your technical expertise
4) Thought leadership
- Develop and maintain in depth knowledge of the key issues and trends in sustainability relevant to industry and key stakeholders.
- Undertake and coordinate specific research projects to produce unique IGD insights and brief internal and external stakeholders
- Produce recommendations based on the insights to inform the direction of IGD’s work programme
REPORTS TO JOB HOLDER
- Shared resource across Charity team
- Consultants as required
- The role will be based at our head office in Letchmore heath, Watford and remotely as necessary. There will be some occasional UK travel.
- Technical and policy expertise across food waste, food surplus redistribution, packaging and broader Sustainability agenda
- Experience working with the UK food and consumer goods industry
- Strategic and political awareness - able to see the bigger picture and understand the impact of actions
- Strong project management skills - capable of working under pressure and adopting a flexible approach to meet changing priorities
- Experience building and leading a team
- Excellent influencing, negotiating and networking skills with the capability the engage with a variety of stakeholders
- Highly motivated with the ability to drive programmes forward through own initiative
- A team player with the ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organisation
- Willingness to be flexible and work across a broad range of sustainability issues
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Educated to Masters degree level in Sustainability (desirable)
We seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool, and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process