Senior Retail Analyst - Asia
Purpose of this role
To contribute to IGD’s global retail research programme by providing insight into the latest retailer strategies and industry trends across Asia.
Responsibilities of this role
- Deliver insight reports on market trends and developments across Asia, providing actionable insight to our members through IGD’s Retail Analysis insight service
- Track best practice and innovation and incorporate this research into IGD reports and presentations
- Provide timely news on the latest retail developments in the region
- Maintain and update our retailer database, forecasting key retailer metrics and growth prospects
- Carry out ongoing primary research with retailers, manufacturers and trade bodies through regular calls and market visits across the region
- Deliver high quality presentations for IGD events and third-party conferences, which showcase our work, raise awareness and build reputation of our Asian research programme
- Prepare and deliver content for client specific outputs that meets customers’ briefs and exceeds their expectations in terms of quality and depth of insight
- Seek ways to continually upgrade the quality of the Retail Team’s products and services through improvements to content, presentations and the introduction of new delivery formats
- Internally share research with other analysts, the sales, press and marketing teams
- Build and maintain a network to support IGD’s research programme
- Gather and share customer feedback to support with the continuous development of IGD products and services
- Increase external awareness of IGD’s research and insight capability across Asia, demonstrating technical excellence with customers and inspiring confidence in IGD
- Support the sales team to build strong relationships with our global, regional and local members and assist with lead generation activity of potential members
- Experience of working within Asia’s grocery industry for either a retailer, FMCG manufacturer, service provider or third-party supplier
- Awareness of how the food and grocery industry works, understanding on retailer operations and terminology, plus understanding of commercial interactions between retailer and suppliers
- Previous experience of producing high quality insight on the retail and consumer goods market in Asia (or other regions around the world)
- Existing robust knowledge of the Asian grocery landscape, key retailers, future trends and implications
- Comfortable and enjoys working with data, plus experience of forecasting future trends
- Experience of working with limited data sources and technique to generate robust insight
- Geographic knowledge of the region, having travelled extensively across major Asian markets, you should be comfortable to travel independently for business
- Existing network of research contacts in Asia / confidence to create one
- Experience of presenting to senior management (e.g. Directors to CEO level)
- Self-starter, driven and pro-active attitude
- Strong team player, but also comfortable to work independently
- Ability to produce insight, solve problems and be naturally inquisitive
- Be able to think creatively and innovate – keen to push the boundaries and constantly improve
- Personable and able to engage with people to grow your network
- High personal standards and pride in your own work and deliverables
- Enjoy working in a fast paced, ambitious and successful team
- Comfortable with a flexible environment and resilient to changing priorities
- Strong written English (other languages a plus)
- Excellent PowerPoint skills and the ability to write for online services
- Strong numerical skills / excel and ability to forecast future trends
- Storytelling, through the ability to turn multiple data sources into meaningful insights
- Strong project management and prioritisation skills
- The ability to interpret customers’ needs and translate this back through our research
- Comfortable presenting to large and senior audiences, being able to think on your feet
- Be an excellent networker with strong ability to build relationship and operate at all levels
- Demonstrate empathy and versatility when faced with a variety of audiences and seniorities
- Ability to understand cultural differences and flex your style to the environment
The Senior Retail Analyst – Asia will report into the Head of Retail and be required to work cross functionally with several other teams.
We are operating a hybrid approach to working with a mix of home and office-based working. The exact nature of this can be agreed with the line Manager. The candidate will need to be prepared to regularly travel to markets across Asia.
We seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process.
IGD (Institute of Grocery Distribution) is an organisation of two interconnected communities.
Our Trading company uses in-depth commercial understanding to uncover rich insights and data, leading to action that powers success. We reinvest our profit into delivering Social Impact, through the Charity, aimed at uniting and mobilising our industry around the most crucial issues affecting society and business.
We connect, collaborate and inspire, provoking and leading constructive debate that creates tangible impact. Together we are working to drive change that makes a tangible difference for Society, Business and the Individual.