Do you want to work for an organisation that strives to make a positive difference within the food and consumer goods industry?
IGD is an organisation which connects and unites this industry. Building on its trusted heritage we are on a progressive and ambitious change journey and are looking for future thinking and dynamic individuals to join us.
The Social Impact team are looking for ambitious people with the energy and passion to make tangible changes happen.
If this is you, then joining our team could be just the right move.
Purpose of the job
- Ensure the successful development and delivery of IGD Sustainability pillar to maximise our social impact
- Develop thought leadership to inform the future direction of our Sustainability pillar strategy in line with external and internal stakeholder priorities
- Help develop a network of external stakeholders across industry, academia, government and not for profit organisations to inform and drive the impact of our Sustainability programmes
- Lead and develop a cross functional team of IGD colleagues and consultants
Areas of accountability
Programme development and delivery
- Responsible for leading the design and implementation of IGD Sustainability pillar programmes across climate change, food waste and food surplus redistribution and sustainable packaging systems.
- Working with Director of Health and Sustainability Programmes and Head of Health and Sustainable Consumption, identify and develop new programmes to shape our long-term Sustainability strategy
- Monitor and analyse trends and customer feedback across the Sustainability agenda to identify opportunities for future development and continuous improvement
- Responsible for oversight and review of all relevant content (reports, briefing notes, toolkits, online content, etc) to ensure accuracy and consistency
Team management and planning
- Line manage and develop a team of subject matter experts on Sustainability
- Lead and develop a cross functional team to secure the annual business plan KPIs for your areas of responsibility
- Report on progress against KPIs on a monthly basis - identifying risks, opportunities and recommending contingencies
Stakeholder management and communication
- Work with colleagues to ensure relevant industry working groups are highly engaged with IGD and help deliver impact
- Work with colleagues across the Charity team and wider IGD to develop and maintain a network of external stakeholders to support our programmes
- Represent IGD at meetings with key stakeholders including government departments and agencies
- Work in partnership with the Marketing team to develop effective communications plans to raise awareness and drive engagement with our sustainability programmes.
- Champion Sustainability activities across IGD, ensuring internal understanding and supporting colleagues with your technical expertise
- Develop and maintain in depth knowledge of the key issues and trends in Sustainability relevant to industry and key stakeholders.
- Undertake and coordinate specific research projects to produce unique IGD insights and brief internal and external stakeholders
- Produce recommendations based on the insights to inform the direction of IGD’s work programme
- Technical and policy expertise across Climate Change and broader environmental Sustainability agenda
- Experience working with the UK food and consumer goods industry
- Strategic and political awareness - able to see the bigger picture and understand the impact of actions
- Strong project management skills - capable of working under pressure and adopting a flexible approach to meet changing priorities
- Line management experience is desirable but not essential
- Excellent influencing, negotiating and networking skills with the capability the engage with a variety of stakeholders
- Highly motivated with the ability to drive programmes forward through own initiative
- A team player with the ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organisation
- Willingness to be flexible and work across a broad range of sustainability issues
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication Skills
- Educated to Masters degree level in Sustainability (desirable)
- Genuine interest in the Food and Consumer Goods industry, and driving positive change
- Demonstrates a growth mindset, curiosity, and agility in approach to solving problems
- Proactive and confident to work autonomously, but in a collaborative manner
- Flexible, with ability to change direction and work across entire or elements of projects
- Has a strong, collaborative work ethic, and commitment to the success of the wider team
- Demonstrates empathy with internal and external stakeholders to understand challenges
- Highly organised, with ability to manage upwards in a consistent and structured manner
- Ability to present, engage, and adapt approach accordingly with a range of stakeholders including senior leaders
- This role reports into the Director of Health and Sustainability Programmes.
Reports to the job holder
- One direct report (initially) – Sustainability Programme Manager
- Shared resource across Charity team
- Consultants as required
- The role will be based at our head office in Letchmore heath, Watford and remotely as necessary. There will be some occasional UK travel.
We seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool, and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process.
Welcome to IGD. We are an organisation of two vital and interconnected communities: Commercial Insight and Social Impact. Together, we are working to drive change that makes a tangible difference for Society, Business and the Individual.
We influence change
We have a unique ability to convene stakeholders across the food and consumer goods industry to address the economic, social, and environmental issues that matter to us all.
Together, we drive change to make a significant, tangible difference and deliver social impact.
We connect our industry
We are a trusted partner with unrivalled insight and foresight across the food and consumer goods industry. We give our customers a better understanding of how to unlock success and where our industry is going.
We make a difference by giving our customers the ability to meet everyday challenges and adapt to changing futures.