Economics and Public Policy Manager
Do you want to work for an organisation that strives to make a positive difference, working in partnership with the food and consumer goods industry?
IGD is an organisation which connects and unites this industry. Building on our trusted heritage we are on a progressive and ambitious change journey and are looking for future thinking and dynamic individuals to join us.
The Social Impact team are looking for ambitious people with the energy and passion to make tangible changes happen.
If this is you, then joining our team could be just the right move.
Purpose of the job
- IGD delivers free analysis of the latest economic and socio-economic trends, the policy landscape, and its impact on shoppers, to help organisations make sense of the external influences on our industry.
- Our trusted partnerships with industry leaders, and engagement with policy makers, allows us to explore how these big picture issues shape the strategic direction of our organisations.
- We believe that makes for better strategic planning and decision making that ultimately benefits the shoppers we serve, and society
- We are looking for a ‘big thinker’ to join our growing Economics team to help us identify the big trends that will shape the UK food and consumer goods industry
Areas of accountability
- Responsible for monitoring key economic indicators and policy developments, and analysing the impact on the food and consumer goods industry
- Contribute to key publications including a weekly economics bulletin and IGD's quarterly Viewpoint report
- Support the chief economist to deliver bespoke research for leaders in the food and consumer goods industry
- Support IGD's engagement with government officials
- Help IGD understand new economic thinking and what that means for businesses
- Support the Strategy and Corporate Affairs Director with management of IGD's Corporate Affairs Advisory Group
- Input to the annual business planning process for the Social Impact team and help inform long term strategic planning
This role reports into the Strategy and corporate affairs director.
- Economic and political science degree
- Experience working in, or keen interest in, the UK food and consumer goods industry
- Strong analytical skills
- Politically astute, with a good understanding of the policy landscape
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong ability to connect issues and develop a strategic approach to problems
- Strong project management skills - capable of working under pressure and adopting a flexible approach to meet changing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Experience managing a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Highly motivated with the ability to drive projects forward
- A team player with the ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organisation
- Willingness to be flexible and work across a broad range of issues
The role will be based at our head office in Letchmore heath, Watford and remotely as necessary. There will be some occasional UK travel.
We seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool, and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process.
IGD (Institute of Grocery Distribution) is an organisation of two interconnected communities.
Our Trading company uses in-depth commercial understanding to uncover rich insights and data, leading to action that powers success. We reinvest our profit into delivering Social Impact, through the Charity, aimed at uniting and mobilising our industry around the most crucial issues affecting society and business.
We connect, collaborate and inspire, provoking and leading constructive debate that creates tangible impact. Together we are working to drive change that makes a tangible difference for Society, Business and the Individual.