We are an organisation of two vital and interconnected communities: Commercial Insight and Social Impact. Together, we are working to drive change that makes a tangible difference for Society, Business and the Individual.
We connect our industry
We are a trusted partner with unrivalled insight and foresight across our industry. We give our customers a better understanding of how to unlock success and where our industry is going.
We make a difference by giving our customers the ability to meet everyday challenges and adapt to changing futures.
We influence change
We have a unique ability to convene stakeholders across our industry to address the economic, social, and environmental issues that matter to us all.
Together, we drive change to make a significant, tangible difference and deliver social impact.
Purpose of the job
We’re looking for an ambitious, self-motivated and dynamic individual with a background in developing new business. The Business Development Manager will play a key role in driving commercial activity by engaging and acquiring new customers for IGD. We’re looking for an individual who thrives in a commercialised new business target-driven environment. You will ideally have industry experience and/or experience of working in a B2B environment.
Retail Analysis is our flagship service. We have more than 400 subscribers worldwide, predominantly manufacturers. We also have a number of retailers and a range of service suppliers in our portfolio of accounts. The majority of new customers begin their engagement with IGD by subscribing to Retail Analysis, so it’s critical for the Business
Development Manager to understand this service and use it in the customer acquisition process.
More than half of our customers are outside the UK, mainly in Europe, and there are still opportunities to grow in our domestic market. Reporting to the Head of Business Development, the Business Development Manager will play a key role in driving IGD’s commercial activity.
Areas of accountability
- Continuously prospect to build pipeline and develop strong personal relationships with potential clients
- You will engage incoming leads by phone, meetings (virtual and in person), networking events, developing a sound understanding of the customer and their goals at both the contact (up to CEO) and company level
- Work with Marketing to develop and implement lead generation campaigns
- Close new business consistently to exceed monthly, quarterly and annual targets
- Seek out new commercial opportunities and be prepared to go the extra mile to exceed customer expectations
- Develop solutions to align customer needs with IGD products, focusing on our flagship Retail Analysis service
- Maintain a regular programme of engagement (email, phone, virtual) to ensure prospects remain engaged during the sales process
- Undertake targeted online research using tools such as LinkedIn and use wider internal and external networks to proactively find and engage new prospects
- Sell the whole suite of IGD service to align with the customer needs
- Delivering monthly and annual sales targets, this is the primary measure of your success
- Forecast accuracy on a monthly, quarterly and annual basis
- Using our CRM tool, provide the business with a continuous stream of insightful customer feedback, designed to improve existing services, generating ideas for new ones and monitoring competitive activity
- Ensure that new customers are fully onboarded before being migrated to the account management team
- Liaise ongoing with the account management team to engage current and prospective customers fully
- Ideally you will have experience in the FMCG sector and in B2B
- A track record of developing new business and delivering against targets
- Strong commercial acumen
- Strong influencing listening and presentational skills
- Intellectually and numerically robust
- Customer focused with a consultative approach to selling
- Excellent relationship developer with new prospects
- Ability to work under pressure and resilient
- Highly developed awareness and understanding of the FMCG and grocery industry, along with a keen interest to continue to learn
- Awareness and understanding of the business issues within and affecting IGD
- Effective communicator who acts with diplomacy, discretion and integrity
- Excellent team player, including being supportive of the wider IGD team
- Customer focused with the ability to close
- Forecasting accuracy
- Strong influencing, listening and presentation skills
- Proactive self-starter, with the ability to direct own work to exceed objectives
- This role reports into the Head of Business Development. The role has no direct reports
- The role will be based at our head office in Letchmore Heath, Watford and remotely as necessary. There will be UK and international travel required for larger prospects.
We seek and attract the best people from the widest talent pool and create an environment that supports and includes them. We aim to encourage a culture where people can be themselves and be valued for their contribution. We therefore welcome applications from diverse candidates. This includes people with disabilities, so please discuss any adjustments that you may require throughout the selection and assessment process.