Sustainability Programme Manager
Purpose of this role
- Own and manage the delivery of specific programmes within IGD’s sustainability pillar to maximise our social impact
- Help manage IGD’s network of external stakeholders relevant to your areas of responsibility to inform our approach and maximise impact
- Act as an ambassador for IGD’s sustainability agenda both externally and within the organisation.
Responsibilities of this role
- Responsible for owning and delivering specific programmes within IGD’s sustainability pillar (for example climate change, food waste reduction, food surplus redistribution and sustainable packaging systems) ensuring annual targets are met within agreed budgets
- Report on progress against KPIs for your areas of responsibility on a monthly basis - identifying risks, opportunities and recommending contingencies
- Responsible for the development and delivery of relevant content for your programmes (reports, briefing notes, toolkits, online content, etc) in partnership with IGD colleagues, industry, delivery partners and external consultants
- Develop your own expertise, analyse trends and monitor customer feedback across your areas of responsibility and recommend opportunities for future development and continuous improvement
- Input to the annual business planning process for the sustainability pillar and help inform long term strategic planning
Stakeholder management and communication
- Support management of industry working groups relevant to your programmes, ensuring they are highly engaged with IGD and help deliver impact
- Work with colleagues across the Charity team and wider IGD to develop and maintain a network of external stakeholders to support your programmes
- Represent IGD at external meetings as required
- Work with the Marketing team to help develop effective communications plans for your areas of responsibility to raise awareness and drive engagement with our sustainability programmes.
- Raise awareness of Sustainability activities across IGD, ensuring internal understanding and supporting colleagues where appropriate
This role reports into the Head of Sustainability.
Knowledge, skills and behaviours
- Experience working in/with the UK food and consumer goods industry within a sustainability role
- Strong project management skills - capable of working under pressure and adopting a flexible approach to meet changing priorities
- Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Experience managing a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Highly motivated with the ability to drive programmes forward
- A team player with the ability to collaborate with colleagues across the organisation
- Willingness to be flexible and work across a broad range of sustainability issues
- Excellent Verbal and Written Communication skills
- Educated to degree level in Sustainability (desirable)
The role will be based at our head office in Letchmore heath, Watford and remotely as necessary. There will be some occasional UK travel.
IGD (Institute of Grocery Distribution) is an organisation of two interconnected communities.
Our Trading company uses in-depth commercial understanding to uncover rich insights and data, leading to action that powers success. We reinvest our profit into delivering Social Impact, through the Charity, aimed at uniting and mobilising our industry around the most crucial issues affecting society and business.
We connect, collaborate and inspire, provoking and leading constructive debate that creates tangible impact. Together we are working to drive change that makes a tangible difference for Society, Business and the Individual.