Contract Type: Permanent
Closing Date: 21 October 2019
Salary: £40,000 per annum (The salary for this role has been approved as advertised in line with our pay structure. We will not negotiate or vary this figure upon offer or appointment)
London & Partners is the official promotional company for London. We promote London and attract businesses, events, congresses, students and visitors to the capital. Our aims are to build London’s international reputation and to attract investment and visitor spend, which create jobs and growth.
It is our privilege to promote London around the world, working in partnership with the Greater London Authority, UK Department of International Trade, VisitBritain and other destination marketing organisations, the London boroughs and many other key stakeholders, as well as our 1,000-plus private sector partners.
Our target audiences are leisure and business tourists, event organisers, overseas businesses and investors, and prospective higher education students. Our marketing and promotional activities are designed to encourage visits, investments and spend in London now, as well as building London’s reputation to support its long term success. Our mission is to tell London's story brilliantly.
We are a not-for-profit public private partnership, funded by the Mayor of London and our network of commercial partners.
Purpose of role
London & Partners provide expertise and guidance to help stage major sporting and cultural events.
Major events are a huge draw for new visitors to London and act as catalysts for economic development across the capital and provide the ultimate platform to help us tell London’s story internationally.
Our objective is to attract events which deliver huge economic returns, draw global media exposure for London and generate local community engagement. This continues to strengthen London’s international reputation as a world-leading and award-winning host city for major events which in turn allows us to engage with national and international audiences.
The Project Manager will have responsibility for identifying and project managing opportunities to create value from new and forthcoming major events relevant to London & Partners’ strategy for tourism, trade and investment and further education, leading on specific forthcoming major projects.
1. Opportunity Development
· Lead on key Major Events accounts, such as UEFA Euro 2020, managing multiple external stakeholders and ensuring that our planning, budgeting and delivery maximise the event’s opportunity for London.
· Manage relationships with external private sector event organisers, rights owners, venues and sponsors to develop new major event opportunities for London maximising opportunities for good growth.
· Assess and develop the viability of event proposals, reviewing business plans, budgets, marketing and PR strategies, socio-economic impact of events in order to ensure the business case to support and invest in such events is robust.
· Identify potential opportunities to generate commercial sponsorship and leverage private sector income to support the delivery of major events.
· Collaborate with colleagues on projects relevant across the wider organisation.
· Provide marketing and activation expertise into event proposals
· Develop and prepare business case and project documentation for internal and external project support and funding.
2. Stakeholder and Relationship Management
· Manage a range of complex relationships with rights-holders, venues and sponsors to support existing specific events and identify where future major events project opportunities may arise.
· Work with and influence key team members and delivery partners to ensure major event project requirements are met. · Initiate partner/key stakeholder meetings; create agendas, produce action points, manage outcomes and resolve any issues among partners to ensure smooth and successful planning.
· Establish and nurture appropriate relationships with stakeholders to ensure the maximum support is gained for relevant major events projects.
· Provide advice and support to event organisers in relation to risk management; maximising social and economic benefits; marketing/PR; sponsorship; brand compliance; business planning and tendering processes.
· Represent London & Partners externally at host city meetings to monitor success, event growth, development opportunities and delivery of contractual obligations.
3. Reporting and Team Working
· Responsible for the maintenance of accurate records electronically and in hard files to ensure accurate reporting of projects.
· Help foster a professional and dynamic working environment within London & Partners and work with other Major Events team members to develop and implement consistent improvements in Major Events team processes, procedures and reporting.
4. Profile and Reputation Management
· Monitor city and worldwide developments in events, sport and cultural industries through to identify opportunities and risks to current and future Major Event activities.
· Represent London & Partners and the Major Events team through hosting guests, networking with partners, sponsors, VIPs and international federations.
· Represent London & Partners at functions, events, committees, conferences and industry events to provide advice, thought leadership and experience enhancing the profile and reputation of the Major Events team as a central point of leadership for major events in London.
The successful candidate will demonstrate:
Knowledge and Experience
· Experience of public events in London involving multiple stakeholders.
· Respected reputation amongst peers in related public sector organisations.
· Networks within agencies, venues and sponsors in the commercial events industry.
· Strong skills in managing budgets and complex projects .
· Competency in structuring and writing detailed reports and business plans.
· Excellent communication and presentation skills.
· Good understanding of sponsorship and revenue generation for events.
Personal style and behaviour
· Able to work effectively and independently in a fast-pace and sometimes high-pressured environment, managing upwards as needed.
· Able to represent London & Partners at events and with senior stakeholders as an expert in their field.
· Effectively contribute creative and innovative solutions to projects and objectives.
· Adopt an agile approach and remains productive in ambiguous and fast changing environments.
· Help foster collaboration, constructive dialogue and builds trust with peers.
· Adopt a learning mindset, using challenges and opportunities improve team and personal performance.
· Through good self-awareness, is able to motivate oneself and seeks opportunities to develop to full potential.
· Able to maintain successful relationships with internal and external networks that work to mutual benefit.
· Able to clearly communicate when engaging with internal & external stakeholders, in confident and articulate manner.
· Successfully delivers project tasks on time and to a high standard, using all available resources.
· Take responsibility and ownership of project tasks, continuously aiming to improve own performance.
· Has a passion for London.
We are an equal opportunities employer, and are committed to giving people the same opportunities for employment, pay, and promotion, without discrimination against anyone.
These are standard job terms, however various flexible working options will be considered should they meet the needs for the business. Examples could include job share, part time, flexible shifts and home working. Let us know how we can best support you to achieve the right work/life balance.
If you need to receive this information and/or apply in an alternative format, please contact London & Partners by calling 020 7234 5800 to discuss how we can help.
We encourage applications from all sections of the community.
Applications may be reviewed as they are received, so please apply as soon as possible.
Please note that London & Partners is not a sponsoring organisation so all applicants are required to have existing right to work in the UK.