Here at Ongo, we believe everyone has the potential to be great. It’s what drives us to come to work and do our jobs every day.
Most people know us as a landlord providing homes to 10,000 people and their families. But homes aren’t our business, people are.
We are looking to appoint a Solutions Specialist, with an infrastructure background, on a 12 month contract within our Technology and Innovation team with a salary of £29,812 pa. (Grade 7 – Standard)
The role is a temporary back-fill for a secondment, so has a strong possibility of becoming permanent after the initial contract term.
The role of the Solutions Specialist is to join a vibrant Development & Security team focused on driving forward the development of our services and platforms, reacting to customer and business demands to find simple solutions.
The ideal candidate will have a strong technical background in infrastructure.
Overall Purpose of Job
A key member of the Technology & Innovation team, working within the Development & Security division transforming business requirements in to valuable solutions, helping to deliver the operational plan.
- Ensuring assigned projects are managed in a consistent and methodical approach throughout their life cycle.
- Providing expertise to identify and translate business requirements into design and architectural documents for development.
- Responsible for the design, development, testing and implementation of new services or changes to existing ones.
- Take complex objectives or problems and work through them to deliver simple solutions.
- Help business functions/departments work more efficiently by utilising existing solutions and identifying new requirements where appropriate.
- Be a solution subject matter expert to help promote solution possibilities and opportunities as well as assisting operational maintenance.
- Ensure the infrastructure remains in a healthy state through the creation of proactive monitoring, making recommendations to rectify potential issues and increase performance.
- Provide assistance & support to other team members in delivering projects and diagnosing errors.
- Working closely with the support division on a regular basis to respond to demanding needs, assisting with any additional work as and when required.
- Involvement with system upgrades, patching and development work including approval of changes. Testing to ensure a consistent, high-level customer experience and quality assurance.
- Ensure technical writing is completed on all changes and projects to enable internal and external support to effectively troubleshoot and maintain.
- Documentation of all areas of infrastructure processes and procedures at both summary and technical levels.
- Maintain excellent working relationship with customers, 3rd party support, developers and other key professionals.
- Ensuring best practices and industry standards are being adhered to as far as possible ensuring we remain secure & compliant.
Creativity & Innovation
- Be competent in the use of a wide range of ICT products, and be able to use your own initiative, to provide a problem resolution service to the company.
- Analyse and evaluate new products that will bring benefits and improvement to the group, making innovative recommendations to the Technology & Innovation team.
- Work with an outline of requirements from the customer, design, plan and implement imaginative and appropriate solutions
- Provide solutions to escalated help desk calls appropriate to the circumstances.
- Shape, design and plan solutions that are fit for purpose and bring real business value.
Contacts & Relationships
- The ability to network and establish a good working relationship with customers, suppliers, 3rd party support and key professionals building a network of trust and sharing of innovation.
- Coordinate tasks with internal and external technical resources, collaborating to achieve the best possible solution outcome.
- Effective interaction with third party suppliers on a daily basis managing support calls and escalating them where required.
- Hold workshops for stakeholders and chair meetings as and when required.
- Daily contact with team members where complex systems issues are discussed and resolve or escalated.
- Daily correspondence at all levels in the company in order to determine requirements, advise on and promote the use of technology.
Decision Making – Discretion
- Ability to formulate solutions and ideas for development using your own initiative.
- Able to identify potential areas of risk, evaluate and report required resolutions to Technology & Innovation management team.
- Approval of change implementation and roll-backs to production environments following Technology & Innovation change control procedures.
- Responsible for planning your own helpdesk and change management requests to comply with set deadlines & business needs.
- Make proposals for improvement and bringing them forward to the Technology & Innovation team in a clear format outlining high level benefits.
- Managing risks in the decisions made which will have a great impact on the business and the service it delivers to its customers.
Decision Making - Consequences
- Working with systems where a lapse of judgement or poor attention to detail could lead to the loss of data.
- Systems availability for the group. Potential to jeopardise productivity along with access to all our services for our tenants & customers.
- Poor scoping of solutions influencing decisions made on large expenditure.
Responsibility for Resources
- Responsibility for implementation of set projects and changes as per the Technology & Innovation operational plan.
- Responsible for issuing small to large value items
- Re-prioritisation of work due to changes in business needs, policy & urgent tasks on a daily basis, working to strict deadlines at all times set by the organisation.
- Requests for impromptu advice and demonstrations of specialist ICT knowledge.
- Be dynamic based on the demands of the business dealing with unexpected circumstances maximising limited resources and expertise.
- Unforeseen technical problems that require immediate attention such as system failures requiring work to be carried outside office hours and on your own initiative when the situation demands.
- Normal physical demands associated with an office environment.
- Office based with some home working and visiting of ongo Partnership sites where required.
Knowledge, Skill & Experience Required
- Be competent with and have an understanding of networking theory and practicalities, such a switching, routing, firewalls, DHCP and DNS.
- Familiarity of virtualisation technologies, in particular VMware.
- Good understanding of Windows Server management ranging from 2012 through to 2019.
- Experience managing a Windows domain across multiple sites utilizing tools such as group policy and active directory.
- Familiarity with Azure Active Directory & other Azure technologies and services.
- Knowledge of cyber-security related topics, in particular around hardening and securing services.
- Experience of managing various Linux distributions including custom appliances.
- Practical experience of quickly being able to pick up and have a thorough understanding of new technologies.
- The ability to be able to provide simple explanations of technical matters to non-technical personnel.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate at all levels within the organisation and external agencies.
- Ability to communicate in a positive, friendly and effective manor, with technical or non-technical customers, difficult decisions and situations.
- The ability to plan, prioritise and complete complex workloads to meet deadlines and service requirements.
- Strong commitment to continual service improvement and delivering quality work at all times.
- Knowledge of project management or familiarity with project management methodologies.
- Excellent analytical and organisational skills.
- Ability to work outside normal working hours in accordance with achieving set targets.
- Have an overall ICT awareness of software and hardware and skilled in all other general aspects of ICT.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to take direction.
- The ability to openly collaborate with team members.
- Ability to perform well in a high pressured environment and to deliver work against tight deadlines.
- The ability to comfortably debrief or present to peers and customers.
- Comfortable when presenting to stakeholders within the business.
Health & Safety
To be aware of risks to personal safety, other employees, customers, company property and company reputation and to highlight such risks to managers immediately.
Environment and Sustainability
- To ensure the environment and sustainability policies are understood by the post holder
- To promote the importance of considering the environment and sustainability in the role
- To treat the environment with respect and commit to ensuring all services/activities that are provided in this role have taken the impact on the environment into consideration/action plans
General appointment - To be able to identify risks that may affect the achievement of personal and service objectives. To support the organisation's risk management process through good communication and carrying out actions to reduce identified risks.
Equality & Diversity
- To promote equality and diversity amongst our stakeholders, residents, customers, clients, staff, board and committee members and all those we work with.
- To ensure all customers’ needs are understood and all services that are provided meet individual needs, including in relation to the protected characteristics and customers with additional support needs.
- To treat everyone with dignity and respect at all times.
Position in Organisation
How many staff is the employee responsible for?
Is the responsibility shared with another post?
For more information please contact our HR Team, on 01724 298896 (24-hour answerphone) or email firstname.lastname@example.org or you can download a pack by visiting our website www.ongo.co.uk
As users of the disability confident scheme, we guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the vacancy/ies.
Closing date for applications – 27th November 2020
Interview dates – w/c 30th November 2020
Any personal information you provide to us on this form will be treated in accordance with current UK data protection law and our data protection policies, procedures and privacy notices in place from time to time. For full details of how we will use your personal information and comply with current UK data protection law please see our privacy notice. A copy of our privacy notice is available at www.ongo.co.uk/privacyapplicants or on request. The information you provide in this application form will be entered into a manual filing system and onto a computerised recruitment system. The data will be used to assess your suitability to join Ongo.