The Pirbright Institute Privacy Notice
This notice applies on and from 25 May 2018
The Pirbright Institute (‘Pirbright’) (we or us) is committed to protecting and respecting privacy of our candidates and users of this recruitment portal in compliance with UK & EU Data Privacy Legislation (Legislation). We want to provide a safe and secure user experience and will ensure that the information you submit to us through this system is only used for the purposes set out in this notice.
What Information do we collect about you?
When you apply for a job through the recruitment portal or other means we will use the information to assist in the recruitment and selection process. By submitting your application you accept the terms of this notice.
To enable us to assist you in finding an appropriate job, we will gather personal information about you from your CV and our registration process. This includes, but is not limited to:
- your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number, date of birth and gender;
- Your career history this would include your qualifications, skills, experience and employment history, including start and end dates, with previous employers and with the organisation;
- Your nationality and entitlement to work in the UK;
- information about any criminal record;
- equal opportunities monitoring information, including information about your ethnic origin, sexual orientation, health and religion or belief.
We hold and use this information for the purpose of requirement in order to:
- To provide our recruitment services to you;
- Communicate with you regarding job opportunities that are relevant to your fields of interest and the progress of any applications you make;
- To provide your details to appropriate Hiring Manager and those involved in the recruitment process;
- Provide you with job alerts relating to roles you might be interested in;
- To comply with our legal requirement – to check to see if you have the right to work in UK and to carry out criminal records checks to ensure that individuals are permitted to undertake the role in question;
- Seek your feedback on our services to conduct research and development for the improvement of our service and the user experience;
- Fulfil our obligations when you are offered employment and we are complaint with our Equality, Diversity and Inclusion policy and practices;
- Undertake vetting process.
The Pirbright Institute is an equal opportunities employer and a company committed to diversity and so we will collect sensitive personal information such as ethnic origin and information during the application process for monitoring and recording purposes and to meet our requirements under Athena Swan accreditation. All sensitive information will be used on an anonymised basis. This information is not shared with the recruitment panel. All job applicants and members of staff will receive equal treatment and that we will not discriminate on grounds of gender, marital status, race, ethnic origin, colour, nationality, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, religion or age.
Who has access to data?
We currently do not share any data outside the EEA for our UK clients but should we need to transfer personal information to third parties located outside the UK, we will ensure that information is protected to a level which meets the requirements of UK and EU Legislation
We may share your personal information on the basis that it is necessary to do so in order to perform the contract you enter into with us as follows:
- Restricted members of the HR and recruitment team including recruitment panel;
- Trusted third parties who provide functions on our behalf, such as payroll, pension, benefits qualification and screening and criminal record checking services, these third parties are required to process your data and comply with similar stringent undertakings of privacy and confidentiality as The Pirbright Institute; in accordance with UK & EU Legislation;
- Regulatory or law enforcement agencies, when required by law to do so;
- To answer your enquiries;
- We may also seek your consent to collect, hold, use and disclose your personal information for any other purpose not listed above for auditing purposes.
We do not share your personal information with third parties who wish to use it for marketing purposes.
As an applicant, you have control of your personal data through our recruitment portal. If you decide to upload a CV, cover letter, personal statement or other similar document or information we will keep your data for a maximum of 12 months as part of our talent pool, and for any other potential recruitment positions, unless you request that it is deleted before that time. We may contact you for future opportunities which we feel may be of interest to you.
You can update your CV at any time, simply by following the same procedure to submit a new CV through your online registration account.
You can also amend your communications preferences at any time through your online account and ask us to restrict the processing of your personal information at any time. You will do this by closing your account on the online portal (using the delete option in your account).
If you have deleted your account and subsequently apply for another job at The Pirbright Institute we will ask you to reregister as a new applicant.
How do we protect data?
Pirbright takes the security of your data seriously. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect. We are certified to the UK Cyber Essentials scheme.
Pirbright engages with third parties to process personal data or sensitive personal data on its behalf, they do so on the basis of written instructions, are under a duty of confidentiality and are obliged to implement appropriate technical and organisational measures to ensure the security of data.
Please note that clicking on links from job boards’ data privacy practices may be different to that of Pirbright. Visitors should consult the other websites' privacy policies as we are not responsible for, and have no control over, information that is submitted to or collected by these third parties.
For how long do we keep data?
We will hold your personal data for twelve months or all the time your account remains active on our portal.
- You can request us to delete your data and can do so by closing your account on the online portal (using the delete option in your account) and emailing us at this address: email@example.com.
Controlling your personal information
You are responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of your User ID and password you set up with us. Please contact us promptly if you believe your account with us has been compromised in any way.
As a data subject, you have a number of rights
You may choose to:
- to withdraw your personal information being processed
- request details of personal information which we hold about you
- restrict the collection or use of your personal data
- to correct any records we hold, on you that may not be accurate
- or even to delete any records that we may hold by closing your account and emailing us at this address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you have any questions about this privacy notice or our treatment of your personal information, please write to us at or contact us by email email@example.com.
In some cases, we may not be able to comply with your request or we will need to withhold such personal information to the extent permitted by law; where we do this, we will explain clearly our reasons
If you believe that we have not complied with your data protection rights, you can complain to the Information Commissioner Office.
Note: if you have deleted your account on our portal and subsequently wish to apply for a job with The Pirbright Institute we will ask you to re-register again before we process your application.
Changes to our Privacy Notice
This privacy notice may be changed by The Pirbright Institute at any time. If we change our privacy notice in the future, we will advise you of changes or updates to our privacy notice accordingly. Continued use of this portal or our services after such changes will constitute your acceptance of such changes.
If, at any time, you have questions or concerns please feel free to e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org