Senior Maintenance Owner
Organisation position and purpose:
We have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Senior Maintenance Owner to join our team within the Estates Maintenance Services (EMS) Department. You will support the daily operations of our department, delivering the maintenance programme on a high containment site.
The Senior Owners Position will report to the Engineering and Operations Manager.
You will have strong support networks with managers and experienced team members and excellent communication and organisational skills. You will also be well-versed in maintenance process, procedures and policies and will be able to actively provide continuous improvement to deliver more efficiently.
Accountability, responsibility and duties:
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The job holder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
For this role we are looking for someone who is a good team player with excellent communication skills and the ability to work solving problems, using initiative to develop an approach to the work using appropriate methods / techniques. An enquiring mind and the ability to work from concepts, thinking critically and solving problems by selecting a course of action from available options is essential.
As EMS Senior Maintenance Owner delivering the Pirbright Institute’s Capability, which will include:
- Day to day management of the EMS Maintenance team including essential delivery of the Asset Care Programmes (PPM) and coordination of Reactive Maintenance (RM) of the Institutes facilities.
- Working to and delivering Key Performance Indicators / Metrics to continually improve departmental efficiency.
- Providing effective co-ordination between EMS Management Team, Development Team and the Maintenance Team.
- Ensuring that Health, Safety and Biosafety are the first priority of the Maintenance Team by working with the Site Engineering Operations Manager to pro-actively demonstrate and demand safe behaviours from everyone involved and/or associated with site engineering and biocontainment operations.
- Delivering maintenance programmes that assure continuously safe, compliant and reliable plant, equipment & facilities.
- Oversee the strategy for recruitment of Technicians within EMS Operations Capability Group to ensure continuity skills and resources.
- Ensuring that all EMS Operations staff are trained to the highest standards for the Institute.
- Providing advice and guidance to scientists/capability change management in the planning of engineering services in all Institute facilities including new builds.
- Providing technical support to Process Teams – Working with scientists and operations staff to find solutions to operational problems which reduce impact on science research.
- To work with a wide range of stakeholders to develop and co - ordinate planned shutdown maintenance and repair operations through co-ordination between science, biosecurity and engineering.
- To work across scientists and operations to ensure that EMS Capability is delivered to all new build facilities on the Pirbright site.
- To provide leadership in relation to all Health, Safety and Bio -Safety arrangements for the Maintenance Team and ensuring the delivery of the safe system of work (SSoW).
- Deputise for the Site Engineering Operations Manager on projects and operations steering committees/teams and support Pirbright site redevelopment programs.
- Support the Projects & Energy Manager and the Institute Environment Manager to deliver activities that support the Energy & Environmental Management Strategy in line UK Carbon Reduction Commitment (UKCRC)
- Support the EMS Health Safety and Risk Manager both from a Quality and Safety perspective in the attainment and retention of national quality standards, accreditation and establish new standards in line with best practice.
- Delivery and enhancement of the Documented Management System.
- Ensuring that effective performance management is delivered against SMART objectives within the Maintenance Team.
- Managing a large team and setting priorities on a day-to-day basis.
- Ensuring that budgets are managed within EMS Capability.
- Making decisions that supports the delivery of the Pirbright Institute’s maintenance Programmes which are in line with its strategic partners.
- Working closely with Facility Co – Ordinator’s and management staff to ensure Capability delivery is coordinated with all elements of The Pirbright Institute’s plan and Science output / investment benefits can be realised quickly and efficiently.
- Set an example of professional excellence in the delivery of maintenance Programmes.
- Proven track record in a leadership and supervision in a MEP / Maintenance Design / installation environment.
- Minimum City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate, NVQ3, HNC or time served apprenticeship in a Mechanical or Electrical Discipline.
- Health, Safety and Safe Systems of Work knowledge.
- Ability to plan, organise and make decisions in relation to the planned and reactive maintenance delivery.
- Experience of working with stakeholders in planning operational shutdowns.
- Resourceful, self-motivated and an effective team manager.
- Good communication skills, both written and oral.
- Good IT skills & be competent in the use of computer and MS package.
- Professional manner and conduct.
- Flexibility to work outside core office hours if required.
- Valid UK driving licence.
- Experience of delivering to Key Performance Indicators / Metrics.
- Experience of working on a high security heavily regulated environment.
- IOSH /CDM
What we offer
- The post is graded at a band E and is a permanent contract.
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings).
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days.
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership.
- Pirbright social club.
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site).
- Cycle to work.
- Subsidised staff restaurant.
- Free onsite parking.