Electrical Engineering Apprentice
Organisation position and purpose:
The successful candidate will undertake a recognised apprenticeship in Electrical building services/process engineering maintenance within the Institutes Estates and Facilities Department and assisting with planned and reactive responses to our high containment facilities as and when required under supervision.
Main duties and responsibility
- Block or day attendance at Technical College studying NVQ level 2/3 in Electrical Engineering.
- Based at the Pirbright site undergoing a formal programme of technical training and carrying out supervised planned and reactive maintenance activities.
- Undertake training in unique high technology bio-containment engineering facilities throughout the design, construction, validation and operational stages.
- Training and participation in Pirbright Asset Care program (PPM) including monitoring and testing duties in accordance with regulatory compliance requirements.
- Assisting the Electrical Technician’s in the provision of technical support to small to medium size M&E Projects.
- Training in monitoring and control of plant and equipment using Building Management Systems (TREND/Schneider/Johnson Controls).
- Participation in the Pirbright Third Party Contractor Management process including supervision of external contractors, service engineers and suppliers.
- Training, operation and maintenance of semi-automated processes including effluent treatment plant, waste incineration plant.
- Participation in Pirbright Health, Safety & Risk programs including risk assessment of planned maintenance activities and ‘on the spot’ risk assessment of reactive works.
- Participation in the Pirbright Quality Management System supporting the development of Standard Operating Procedures and ensuring QMS training compliance as appropriate to the post.
- Other duties, as directed by Line Management.
This job description is only an outline of the tasks, responsibilities and outcomes required of the role. The jobholder will carry out any other duties as may be reasonably required by his/her line manager. The job description and personal specification may be reviewed on an ongoing basis in accordance with the changing needs of The Pirbright Institute.
All employees shall actively participate in the Institute-wide quality assurance system in conjunction with the Institute’s Quality Manager. Employees are also expected to safeguard their own health and safety and security by following policies and all employees are responsible for the Health and Safety and security of staff under their management.
- Able to work with others from varying levels and skill backgrounds within the team and throughout the organisation
- Reasonable level of fitness and agility & able undertake physical tasks associated with the role
- GCSE Grade 5 or above in Maths, English & Science
- Qualification in a technical subject such as Design & Technology
- Able to learn quickly
- Ability to reason accurately and quickly
- Able to act on own initiative
- Good written communication
- Good numerical skills
- Competent IT skills
- Good listening skills
- Experience of working in a team (does not have to be work related)
- Experience of working towards a set deadline(s) (does not have to be work related)
- Any engineering experience
Due to the nature of the work we do, all successful applicants will be required to go through a comprehensive screening process including reference and qualification checks, financial and security clearances.
What we offer
- Generous Group Personal Pension Scheme and life cover (subject to age and earnings)
- 25 days annual leave per annum, pro rata, plus 10.5 public and privilege days
- Pirbright gym with subsidised membership
- Pirbright social club
- Pirbright Lifestyle Hub (employee discount site)
- Cycle to work
- Subsidised staff restaurant
- Childcare allowance
- Free onsite parking