Design Manager - Womenswear Non Clothing - 12 Month FTC
Our people make all the difference.
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Working closely with the Womenswear Design Director, you will identify and develop company ‘looks’, anticipating future trends and market information in order to maximise sales performance. This role is suitable for Design Manager or Senior Designers ready for the next step in their career.
Specific duties will include:
- Identify and develop company ‘looks’, company colour cards by ‘look’ and key items across all product areas.
- Oversee the creation of ‘looks’ boards and design specs to gather an overview of development within each team against design schedules
- Instigate ‘cloth’ direction boards and ensure they are of the level required
- Maintain a full awareness for all product ranges of best sellers, key fashion trends and fabrics and assisting buying teams with range building
- Keeping up to date with market and competitors (both inspirational and high street) through supplier info, directional shopping trips and competitors’ ranges
- Proactively identify and maintain consistency in both garment fits and quality
- Manage and develop junior team members, train new members to increase department product knowledge and trend awareness (inc travel),
- Identify skills and knowledge gaps in team and address appropriately, managing the team by rewarding good work and highlighting areas where improvement is needed
- Encourage the design teams to share ideas between each other
- Take an active leadership role to develop relationships with design and buying teams, garment techs, pattern cutting, home production, suppliers and VM
- Attend relevant detail and review meetings (including meetings with the MD)
- Ensure Designer(s) prepares relevant information in advance of design/inspirational trips and meetings
- Proactively provide training to your designers whilst on trips to ensure you achieve focussed development and high quality sampling
- In absence of Director on trips, ensure you are aware of ranges, looks, capacity of suppliers, samples and design schedules
- Identify key top store packages at appropriate timings in store
- Develop skills to enable you to visualise how looks and departments could be merchandised in store to create impact, newness and therefore maximise sales
- Identify hot spots for the business
- Liaise with VM teams to update on new dressings and trends for stores, pro-actively sharing window ideas on Key events
- Demonstrate an indepth awareness of competitors displays and strengths/weaknesses
- Collate the latest trend info and propose the ‘looks’ to present to press including ‘style’ press rails , accessories groupings etc
- Identify mannequin/model outfits for press launches/look books
Suitable candidates should have:-
- Previous experience preferably from a fast fashion retailer from a handbag and/or footwear background
- The ability to demonstrate an affinity with RI Brand and high street fashion
- A creative eye for product, with ability to drive the business forward
- Strong communication/internal liaison skills at all levels
- Fashion related qualifications