WE’RE GOING PLACES….
With more than 60 years of history in the bag, ours is a brand with an impressive heritage. Style is well and truly in our blood. As well as UK and Ireland, we are represented globally through our stores in Western Europe, Eastern Europe, Middle East and Asia. Our e-commerce business is helping to set the trend globally, shipping to 125 countries whilst also growing our presence on the world’s leading digital fashion marketplaces.
Our people make all the difference. Just as the River Island name pulls customers in off the high street and inspires them to buy online, our employer brand turns the heads of talented people, inspiring them to join, stay and grow with us.
WHAT YOU DO MATTERS…
Are you passionate about people and engagement? Are you creative and always thinking of new and innovative ideas? If so, then you’re exactly what we’re looking for.
This role is perfect for an energetic and proactive individual, who is always looking to improve things. The role is responsible for supporting the planning, managing and delivering communications and engagement activities. This includes delivering dynamic and effective change communications, events and employee engagement using digital and traditional channels/tools. We’re looking for someone that has new and fresh ideas to bring, as well as the skills and ability to deliver at a consistent and high quality.
In this role you will:
- Plan and deliver communications and engagement activities
- Plan and support the delivery of events, which showcase RI both internally and externally
- Provide creative ideas to various teams and business areas, based on research and best practice
- Deliver dynamic and effective change and internal communications using digital and traditional communications channels (including trialling and managing new channels/tools)
- Provide communications support to the Change & Training Managers as required
- Align with and support other communication departments/ teams across RI
What a typical week might cover:
It’s always changing and improving, but here is a general overview of what you will work on (with the support and guidance from your manager and team members):
Planning and Coordination
- Creating and maintaining plans for the delivery of communications, engagement activities and events
- Working with various teams to ensure their requirements and feedback are incorporated into the planning process and design of the materials created
- Continuously researching and improving what we do
- Ensuring audiences and channels are mapped and utilised in a way that drives effective communications and engagement
- Working closely with Senior Leaders, People Managers, PMO and Portfolio Leads to understand their requirements and gather feedback to continuously improve our communications and tools
- Evaluating the effectiveness of the communications on a regular basis and make improvements as required
- Supporting People Managers to communicate and engage their teams
- Working closely with other communications teams to align plans and messages, and build the profile of the Change Communications & Engagement function
- Creating and delivering engaging communication materials through various channels – such as newsletters, flyers, films/videos, briefing packs, intranets/microsites etc.
- Supporting the delivery of events and promote our brand
- Providing advice and suggestions for engagement and development activities
- Understanding the communication and engagement needs various teams, and supporting People Managers to deliver effective messages
- Keeping up to date on the latest research and tools that could be considered for RI – and put together proposals for their trial or implementation as required
- Working with teams across the department to pull content together for news stories, latest trends & exciting activities taking place across RI
- Upskill and support other RI colleagues
Change & Training Support
- Working alongside the Change Managers to help produce communications materials & engagement activities for a wide range of projects & programmes
- Supporting the launch of business-wide programmes and messages
- Supporting the delivery of IT Training – such as creative emails and posters
There will almost certainly be new things that are requested and needed, probably a few while you’ve been reading this, but that’s part of the fun and we’ll always work together to make sure your workload is challenging but achievable.
WE KNOW WHAT WE’RE DOING… and we know exactly what experience we’re looking for!
We are looking for someone that:
- Is passionate and has some experience working in communications and/or events
- Builds strong relationships and trust quickly – so you can work with others to achieve great outcomes
- Enjoys working in an environment that’s always changing and fresh – things move quite quickly, so you need to be someone who thrives off that, rather than something really structured and formal
- Can turn technical or complex details into simple, easy to understand messages and engaging communications materials - tailored for different audiences
- Creates communication materials and comes up with ideas that are adaptable and relevant to the business
- Can work with what you’ve got and to not be too rigid. You’ll need to be flexible and adaptable so that you can create things that are right for the situation – rather than aligning to any external/personal view or theory
- Is motivated and can deliver results in an ambiguous and challenging environment
- Is pragmatic and prioritises value adding work it
- Is a self-starter who can work independently, as well as with others
- Uses their common sense to solve problems and works with others to find the best solution
- Is a people person, understands what motivates people and knows how to craft communications that support engagement and generate excitement
- Is proactive - when you see an opportunity you take it, rather than waiting for someone to ask you
It would be great if you:
- Have worked in a retail and/or agile environment before (though it doesn’t need to be in this specific type of role)
- Have an understanding and recommendations for various tools that could be used to deliver communications and support events
- Have professional training as a member of CIPR, IOIC or another professional organisation
- Are an advocate of the River Island brand
- Are active on social media, such as Twitter and LinkedIn
- Have worked with Office 365 (including SharePoint)
- Have experience of creating and editing videos
- Or – if you don’t have experience of all these things – you are looking to learn and develop in the role
IT NEVER GETS BORING…
If you are ambitious and love working in a busy environment where every day is new, then River Island is the place to be! As a business, we are committed to developing our talent and offer a fantastic training program to help you optimise your performance and support your career progression with the company.
You will be working with industry experts who are passionate about our brand and really know their stuff. They are focused on ensuring they deliver this knowledge to their team to support with their development with the business. What better way to learn and develop your career than alongside someone who has been there and done it themselves!
Our working environment is busy, fast moving and responsive to our customers’ needs, much like our training which is unique to our business and reflective of our fun and refreshing brand and our people within it! Our River Academy offers ongoing training and development by running workshops throughout the year varying from courses focusing on softer skills to the more technical courses you may require to perform your duties.
It’s not all work and no play here either…we all work hard but we also like to have fun too! We are a social bunch and regularly host events ranging from summer and Christmas parties, bake offs, and lots of charity events!
WE LOOK OUT FOR ONE ANOTHER…and in doing so, we provide great benefits for our employees:
- 50% staff discount
- Pension scheme
- Season ticket loan
- Ride to work scheme
- On-site gym
- On-site staff shop
- Subsidised canteen
- Free onsite parking
- Giver Island