River Island Candidate Privacy Notice
As part of our candidate application and recruitment process River Island Clothing Co. Limited (“River Island”) collects, processes and stores personal information about you. We process this information for a range of purposes relating to the recruitment process and this may include your application, assessment, pre-employment screening, adding to a Talent Community and your worker permissions. This document sets out:
- Why we collect your personal information;
- What information is collected and;
- How it is processed within the recruitment process.
Throughout this Privacy Notice we use the term “processing” to cover all activities involving your personal information, including collecting, handling, storing, sharing, accessing, using, transferring and disposing of the information.
1) Why do we collect your personal information?
In order to manage your application, we need to process certain personal information about you. The purposes for this are set out below. We only process your information as necessary for the purposes of progressing your application, for future opportunities or as required by law or regulatory requirements, so not all of the purposes set out below will apply to you all of the time.
- Application: CV, name, address, employment history, academic and professional qualifications, age, diversity (i.e disability), nationality;
- Assessment: CV, psychometric tests (such as a The Predictive Index), interview (face to face, telephone or video), behavioural assessments (such as a role play, group exercise or presentation), technical assessments;
1(a) Talent Community: In certain situations, we will request consent to hold your personal data for six (6) months so we can consider you for future opportunities. On expiry of the six (6) months we will contact you to request consent to hold your data for a further six (6) months. We will also request consent from employees who leave the company to add them to our Talent Community for future opportunities on the same six (6) month schedule.
2) What personal information might we process?
Here are some examples of the type of information we may process. There’s a full list in the schedule at the end of this notice.
- Personal details such as name, address, date, place of birth and community background (NI only);
- Work history/job data; previous employers, positions, dates, etc.
- Compensation; basic salary, benefits, bonuses, etc.;
- Education and work history including professional qualifications and skills;
- Employer feedback
- Nationality / visa / right to work permit information; (e.g. passport, driving licence, National Insurance numbers)
- Assessment results e.g. Psychometric assessment results, results from gamification and telephone assessment
During the process we also capture some sensitive personal data about you (e.g. disability information). We do this in order to make reasonable adjustments to enable candidates to apply for jobs with us, to be able to take online/telephone assessments, to attend interviews/assessment centres, to prepare for starting at River Island (if successful) and to ensure that we comply with regulatory obligations placed on us with regard to our hiring.
3) Who do we share your personal information with?
River Island will need to share your personal information internally (both in the country where you may work and in other countries in which we have central operations) and may require to share it with some external parties or associates of River Island. Some of these third parties and associates will be located outside the European Economic Area (“EEA”). Your information will only be shared if it is necessary or required (for example in order to carry out Pre-employment screening).
The recruitment process will involve:
- Assessing and progressing your application,
- Assessing your suitability (skills, strengths, behaviours for the role)
- Activities needed to complete the on-boarding and screening process should your application be successful.
To enable these processes your personal information may be shared internally, but the information shared is limited to what is required by each individual to perform their role in the recruitment process.
Your personal information may be shared internally with the following people:
- Those employees who would have managerial responsibility for you or are acting on their behalf;
- Employees in HR who have responsibility for certain HR processes (for example recruitment, assessment, pre-employment screening);
- Employees in Legal, Conduct, Risk, HR, Regulatory and Fraud with responsibility for investigating issues of non-compliance with laws and regulations, policies and contractual requirements;
- Employees in IT and system owners who manage user access;
- Audit and Investigations employees in relation to specific audits/investigations; and
- Security managers for facilities / premises.
River Island may also need to share your information with certain external third parties including:
- Companies who provide candidate interview and assessment services to River Island;
- Suppliers who undertake background screening on behalf of River Island (credit checking agencies, criminal checking bureaus, etc.)
- Academic institutions (Universities, colleges, etc.) in validating information you’ve provided
- Other third-party suppliers (or potential suppliers), who provide services on our behalf.
4) How do we protect your information?
Our HR and Recruitment systems are protected to ensure that unauthorised or unlawful processing of personal information, accidental loss or destruction of, or damage to, personal information does not occur. This is done in accordance with the River Island Information Security Policy and the Protection of Personal Information Policy.
Where we share information with other parties located outside your country, as a minimum, River Island will require that such personal information is protected as required by the laws of the country where you work. River Island also requires its third party suppliers or recipients of personal information to guarantee the same level of protection as provided by River Island. Your personal information will be retained in accordance with River Island Information Security Policy and the Protection of Personal Information Policy (which means that we may hold some information after your application to River Island is complete).
5) Your Rights
You are entitled to see the information River Island holds about you. You can also request changes to be made to incorrect information. You can ask for information to be deleted or blocked if you legitimately think that River Island shouldn’t be processing that information, is processing it incorrectly.
If you have any queries about this notice or your personal information generally, including questions about accessing your personal information or correcting it, you should contact The People Experience team in the first instance. Alternatively, there is information available on our main website about accessing your personal information; please refer to paragraph 11 of our Privacy Notice on www.riverisland.com.
It is your responsibility to keep your personal information up to date so that accurate application records can be maintained. You can manage all of your applicant data by accessing and updating your profile on River Island’s applicant tracking system.
In some instances (right to work, driving licences (driver roles) etc.) we may use automated decision making. You have the right to access information about the reasoning behind any decisions taken by automated means and opt out. Consequently:
- You can give written notice requiring you not to take any automated decisions using their personal data;
- even if you have not given notice, you will be informed when such a decision has been taken;
- You can ask us to reconsider a decision taken by automated means.
As this document is updated, the current versions will be posted on this site.
6) Processing Conditions
River Island’s entitlement to process your personal information is governed by a number of processing conditions. This means that we may rely on more than one of these conditions in order to process elements of your personal information throughout the recruitment process.
- River Island will process your personal information in the administration of your application.
- River Island will also process your personal information where it is required by law or regulation or it is in the legitimate interests of the applicant or River Island. This processing will always be fair and lawful and will at all times comply with the principles of applicable privacy laws in the country where you have applied to be employed.
- During the course of your application it may also be necessary for River Island or its suppliers to process your sensitive personal information as per the detail in section 2 and Schedule 1 of this notice. Schedule 1: Full list of information we may process
- Name, work and home contact details
- Date and place of birth
- Education and work history
- *Individual demographic information in compliance with legal requirements (such as marital status, national identifier, passport/visa information, nationality, religion, community background, citizenship, military service, disability, work permit, date and place of birth or gender)
- *Health issues requiring adaptations to working environment
- Job title, grade and job history
- Employment contract related information (including compensation, location, hours of work and so on)
- Reporting and managerial relationships
- *Bank account details for salary payment purposes
- Expenses such as travel and expenses claimed from River Island
- Skills and qualifications
- Results of original and ongoing employee screening, where relevant
- Notes from face to face interviews
- Psychometric test results and associated reports
- Results from behavioural assessments (e.g. Assessment Centre exercises)
- Results from technical assessments
* These categories of information might potentially include some sensitive personal information. Sensitive personal information is not routinely collected about all applicants, it may be collected where River Island has a legal obligation to do so, or if you choose to disclose it to us during the course of your relationship with River Island.