Data and Analytics Delivery Manager
In a nutshell
Sainsbury’s is a data rich business – with information collected from consumers, suppliers and colleagues. We believe that there is huge value in these data in driving value for our customers and, in turn, value for our shareholders.
To-date, there has been some great work done which has started to realise some of this value, but there is significantly more opportunity bought about by developing the right information solutions to help solve often complex business challenges.
The DACE Delivery Manager will develop and sustain key business relationships which will further grow the level of understanding and demand for DACE support. They will also be responsible for the delivery of solutions from across the full spectrum of DACE capabilities to drive customer, colleague or competitive advantage for the business.
The DACE Delivery Manager has four key responsibilities:
- Acting as a critical interface between The Data and Analytics Centre of Excellence (DACE) and numerous business functions. Influencing senior leaders across the business to ensure the potential benefits of DACE are fully understood and realised, thus creating and capturing demand for data and analytics services.
Accountable for ensuring that all data & analytics outputs for their aligned business functions are successfully developed and deployed in the business
Drive maximum business value from delivery, and responsible for capturing and measuring the benefit derived from these outputs
Manage and grow a high performing team.
What I need to do
- Develop and manage relationships with key stakeholders to design strategic data and analytical roadmaps for their business area
- Agitate the business around the ‘art of the possible’ from a data and analytics perspective – creating demand in areas where there is potential big value.
- Create and manage a pipeline that delivers the projects that underpin the DACE and wider business’ strategy
- Provide an overview of all DACE activities to the business and act as single point of contact for delivery and collation
- Work with DT to understand their delivery plans and ensure clarity and consistency for the business
- Lead your team to deliver multiple complex cross-functional projects (Inception to transition) with upwards of £50m of value
- Build, brief and lead DACE cross-functional teams to deliver the most complex projects on time, to budget and scope.
- Work with PM’s and DACE teams to ensure delivery meets the business needs
- Accountable for all IB and CAG papers
- Work with stakeholders and project teams to maximise the business benefit delivered and realised
- Work closely with central and BU finance teams to ensure benefits are correctly recognised and ongoing monitoring is transited into the business
- Lead, manage, recruit and develop a high performing team
- Work across DACE teams to ensue correct resourcing available to support project delivery
How I will succeed
- Be able to distil complex business requirements into simple deliverables.
- Manage a complex and senior stakeholder community
- Recognised as the go-to Data and Analytic contact for your portfolio
- Successful delivery of complex, large scale activities to time, budget and scope
- Delivery of high-quality DACE solutions in-line with business expectations and benefit commitments
- Be driven by results and the ability to measure outcomes from the work carried out by your team
- Lead and inspiring a team capable of delivering against our data & information vision.
- Work collaboratively with the other DACE teams to develop appropriate solutions.
What I need to know
- A detailed understanding of the ‘art of the possible’ from a data and analytics perspective
- How to run projects and programmes of work to deliver measured outcomes
- A strong understanding of the tools and technologies, processes and procedures that bring data ‘to life’ including SAS, Teradata, AWS, R, Python.
- A history of successfully delivering cross-functional projects and a strong understanding of both Agile and Waterfall project delivery methodologies
- How to turn business speak in to data & analytics speak and vice versa
- How to get the best out of people so they feel engaged & valued.
- A good understanding of the retail world and the way a grocery retailer works
- Experience of recruiting, leading and managing a team
What I need to show
- The ability to engage with and influence senior stakeholders and give them confidence in the ability of your team to deliver
- An ability to present at all levels across the business
- A commercial understanding and how that relates to opportunities in data and analytics.
- The passion, drive and commitment to succeed in a fast-moving, highly pressured environment
- A proven track record of delivering.
- Inspiring leadership skills
Resources available to me
- A direct team of 5-6 FTE’s with responsibility for large project delivery with over 20 FTE’s
- A wholly engaged business with no shortage of appetite for data to help them be more successful
- A CAPEX budget in excess of £5m and an opex budget to develop and grow your team
What decisions I can make
- Prioritisation of delivery and wider portfolio in conjunction with the Head of Major Projects
- The delivery strategy for your projects
- Inception and initial development of opportunities
- How to equip your team appropriately
- Development and choice of delivery partners where needed
- Team recruitment in conjunction with the Head of Major Projects