In a nutshell
Sainsbury’s is a data rich business – with information collected from consumers, suppliers and colleagues. We believe that there is huge value in these data in driving value for our customers and, in turn, value for our shareholders.
To date, there has been some great work done which has started to realise some of this value, but there is significantly more opportunity bought about by developing the right information solutions to help solve often complex business challenges.
The Reporting Lead's primary role will be to find innovative ways to put information in an understandable format in the hands of end users. The user communities for reporting range from Finance, through trading into the digital and marketing teams and ultimately into our retail management colleagues working in our stores.
The challenge lies in creating and delivering a robust roadmap of activities that provide intelligent reporting solutions which are relevant, up-to-date and insightful – in essence, putting information in the hands of the decision makers to enable them to act quickly in making business decisions.
What I need to do
- Gather reporting requirements from across your aligned business and data domains (customer, commercial and colleague).
- Prioritise requirements and produce a roadmap of activities which will deliver in a timely, cost-effective & highly repeatable way for your business stakeholders
- Support the Head of Reporting create an operating model and implement ‘ways of working’ for the BI & Reporting team
- Assist the Head or Reporting in recruit & build your direct and wider team where needed
- Work closely with the business to work out where the biggest value-creating opportunities lie and then single-mindedly deliver both POC’s and productionised reporting capabilities that fulfil the requirements.
- Assist in making technology choices to ensure that we build key skills around central key capabilities within the Bi & Reporting team
- Create a capability around report interpretation and ‘value add’ to make sure that we go beyond delivering the data.
- Manage, lead and inspire a your team both on- and off-shore to deliver outstanding reporting on-time, to budget and specification.
- Develop innovative and engaging ways to ‘tell stories’ through data – creating engaging, easily interpretable and memorable ways of visualising these data as well as being able to provide a capability to answer simple insight & data questions in a timely fashion.
- Grow and maintain strong business relationships
- Respond quickly to key business questions ensuring they have access to information and insight to make commercial decisions (answers now)
- Work with the Major Project and wider DACE teams to deliver large scale projects to the business
How I will succeed
- Able to distil complex technical delivery into easy to understand/ simple deliverables for the business
- Manage a highly complex stakeholder community
- Recruit, lead and inspiring a team capable of delivering against our data & information vision.
- Challenge DACE’s reporting strategy and ways of working to ensure it delivers the greatest value to the business in the shortest timeframe
- Focus on indentifying the business and commercial value in the work we are delivering and driving that value into the business
- Work collaboratively with the other DACE teams to develop appropriate solutions
What I need to know
- How to create compelling, highly valued dashboards and reports.
- A detailed understanding of the ‘art of the possible’ for reporting and visualisation
- A strong understanding of the tools and technologies that can support great reporting, including Microstrategy, PowerBI, Tableau, SAS.
- Knowledge of database, datawarehouse and Big data technologies including Teradata, Hadoop, Cloudera and AWS.
- An explicit understanding of data and data structures that support great reporting, BI and dashboards
- How to get the best out of people so they feel engaged & valued.
What I need to show
- Proactivity, initiative and commitment to delivery
- The ability to engage with and influence senior stakeholders
- An ability to present at a senior level and to large teams
- Ability to quickly understand complicated issues and reporting scenarios
- A good commercial understanding and how that relates to opportunities in data, analytics and reporting (ie DACE wide not just your direct team)
- The passion, drive and commitment to succeed in a fast-moving, highly pressured environment, challenging the norm in a confident yet constructive manner
- A proven track record of delivering.
Resources available to me
- A dedicated reporting team on and off shore
- Where applicable delivery/ project teams
- A wholly engaged business with no shortage of appetite for data to help them be more successful
- Training as required
- Head Reporting for challenge, support and escalation
What decisions I can make
- How to structure your team and resource it (in/out of house, on/off shore)
- How to equip your team appropriately
- The delivery strategy
- In conjunction with the Head of Reporting, prioritisation of work
- Choice of delivery partners where needed
- Personal development and training focus