Category Technical Manager – Fresh Produce
In a Nutshell
The purpose of the role is to lead, define and deliver the technical strategy for Sainsbury’s Brand within a buying category. This means using your existing knowledge and experience of the category to identify and engage the right suppliers using robust tools and metrics to differentiate our offer and deliver a clear competitive advantage for Sainsbury’s. The role also takes accountability for the development and delivery of all relevant 2020 CR targets that fall within the category.
What I Need to Do
- Develop and deliver with your team Sainsbury’s Brand category plans that deliver excellent product quality to the customer. Integrated within the category team, the category plan delivery through Sainsbury’s Brand work streams is a key role.
- Assure safety and legal compliance of all products within the context of ever-changing EU and UK legislation and technical standards specific to the category.
- Identify and implement positive changes within the supply base. This could be the strategic development of the existing supply base, complete redevelopment of the roles and responsibilities of the existing supply base or establishing a different structure and ways of working of new suppliers.
- Development, management and prioritisation of key delivery goals both operationally from a KPI perspective and from a CR target delivery perspective.
- Line management of a large team, which will incorporate performance review and leadership, PDP generation and development planning as well as the day-to- day management of the individuals.
- Instigate and maintain a rolling programme of R&D within the category that delivers an improvement in sourcing, quality or performance.
- Working with Sainsbury’s brand development teams, oversee the delivery of product development plans ensuring processes are fit for purpose and future facing. Ensure projects are delivered to agreed timescales and budget to maximise Sainsbury commercial advantage.
- Exploit your existing industry links and network to bring new insights for product technology and development.
How I Will Succeed
- Category-specific product driven sourcing models delivered through the cross-functional category team.
- Plans in place and delivering on all 2020 targets.
- Innovation and R&D plans of varying scales in place within the supply base/academic world.
- Team KPI’s green rated.
- Effective PDP’s for the whole team.
- Delivery of great products that customers love
What I Need to Know
- Previous experience of technical leadership in the category is essential as is previous experience in the supply base.
- Thorough understanding of current and future issues that this category faces both in the UK and globally.
- Experience in leading and developing a team of highly specialist technologists and technical managers.
- Experience of working in a cross-functional team to deliver category-wide projects.
- Sound analytical thinking and judgment.
- Track record of delivery in the category is essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Science degree.
What I Need to Show
The colleague values should underpin all our roles. Consider how the role demonstrates each of the colleague values. There are some examples below:
- We are trusting each other, working together: Coaches and develops a team of industry-leading Product Technologists and Technical Managers.
- We are making it simpler Identifies opportunities to improve technical KPI performance through simplification and efficient practice.
- We are delivering great service, driving sales: Develop and execute category plan thereby delivering the right product offer for our customers.
- We are making it happen: Implements a global supply strategy based on current and upcoming issues along with CR target planning and delivery across categories
- We are treating every pound as our own: Strategic innovation and R&D in conjunction with external expert partners or centres of excellence to drive efficient cost effective resilient supply chains.
- We are cheering on our progress: Identifies and recognises great performance and progress within the team, category or division and clearly communicates this.
Resources Available to Me
- Direct reports
- Own Brand team support functions
- Own Brand finance
- Relevant resources to deliver R&D projects
What Decisions I Can Make
- Setting quality parameters across category
- Management of operational budget
- Assignment of resources to category projects
- Product sourcing and supplier decisions
- Quality standards and product performance decisions
- Site auditing approval and supplier development