Analysis Manager - Retail Ops
In a nutshell
At Sainsbury’s data is key to our decision making and our newly formed Data & Analytics Centre of Excellence shows our commitment to ensuring we realise the value that our data can generate and significantly step on the vast opportunities this presents.
The Retail Operations Analysis Manager will identify opportunities to maximise the use of data to drive commercial results in a key part of our business by:
- leading the delivery of data-led insight & decision-making support on key retail and labour change projects
- converting analytical expertise into recommendations & the ‘so-what’ in order to shape the future direction of retail initiatives and the identification of cost saving opportunities
What I need to do
- Lead a team of 6 analysis leads & data analysts to deliver accurate, fact based data driven assessments of operational performance & project delivery.
- Provide coaching to your team to drive change; specifically to go beyond the data & analysis in order to provide real insight & recommendations to drive commercial results
- Work in partnership with the Retail Insights Manager in Central Retail to develop & maintain relationship with retail stakeholders, influencing key decisions through an approach based on data, insight & commercial thinking
- Work with retail stakeholders to support them in creating their strategy through insight and data. Enable them to deliver this through identifying appropriate analytical support
- Act as an ambassador for the Data & Analytics Community across the teams within Retail, influencing the business to understand the value of data and move to a truly data enabled culture
- Deliver business insights that drives and measures opportunities to maximise the use of labour across our store estate while keeping customer service at the fore-front.
- Drive forward the adoption of a data driven approach across the Central Retail division.
- Proactively flag changes in operational metrics to identify opportunities for retail colleagues to drive business benefits
- Support the ongoing development of future checkout propositions (e.g. SmartShop) using data & market insight to ensure our propositions are competitive & right for our customers.
- Provide a fact-based view of the performance of current checkout propositions, identifying further opportunities to drive sales growth and reduce costs
- Deliver analysis to shape & support the roll out of new checkout propositions. Enabling the business to move at pace making to start, adapt & even stop trials of new propositions.
- Continuously work with your team to develop process improvements. Remain up to date with industry and technical developments and work with DACE leadership team to implement new tools/approaches as necessary
How I will succeed
The success of the team depends on analysis & insight delivering benefits to both development projects & BAU trading & operational activity: Key success measure will be
- Delivering an analytics plan that delivers commercial benefit & informs the future of Retail Operations
- Always presenting complex analysis in clear, concise & engaging ways to stakeholders, converting analytical expertise into commercial results
- Use great engagement skills to influence decision making of stakeholders & ensure that data is truly at the heart of what we do
- Positive feedback from stakeholders at all levels
- Providing leadership to a team of 6 analysts ensuring that individuals grow to reach their full potential
What I need to know
You’ll need to demonstrate:
- An ability to find a coherent story where others would get lost in the detail
- Inquisitive mind & intellectual curiosity – ability to ask the right questions & demonstrate persistence & perseverance in getting to the final answer, challenging perceived wisdom where appropriate
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interpret business questions & quickly ascertain what is really required from data to drive the business forward
- An explicit understanding of the tools (SAS, Alteryx, Microstrategy, PowerBI etc.) & the associated technologies (R, python etc.) & how these tools can be applied to solving business problems.
- High calibre graduate (2.1 or above) in mathematics, statistics, operational research or quality computing degree – BSc or MSc level. A-level Mathematics is essential.
An understanding of insights & statistics, along with the tools & technologies available to bring data to life for users & internal customers.
- Confidence in dealing with complexity & / or ambiguity
What I need to show
Over & above what you need to know, you will need to show:
- Strong commercial awareness & judgement
- Drive & ambition, with the ability to challenge the norm in a confident yet constructive manner
- A proven track record of leading a team & acting as the bridge between technical specialist & business owner.
- The ability to relate data / analytics to real-world business problems & coach those around you to develop this skill
- Proven track record of winning the hearts and minds of non-technical audiences with complex findings and recommendations that impact their day to day workload.
- A proactive attitude, someone who thrives on embracing change in a fast moving environment positively impacting & influencing change
- Be available, approachable & recognised as an analytical sounding board
Resources available to me
- A team of 6 analysts of varying levels of experience & expertise
- Advice & support from Head of Analysis, Retail managers & the Data & Analytics Centre of Excellence
- A wholly engaged business with no shortage of appetite for analytics and insights to help them be more successful
- Training as required
What decisions I can make
- Customer & analytics-focused proposition development decisions
- Approach to answer key business questions & best ways to present analysis for maximum impact.
- Team recruitment, development / training & focus
- Prioritisation of team’s work