Cloud Competency Centre Manager
Sainsbury’s, one of the UK’s largest retailers is investing heavily in digital innovation - its aim being to build a centre of excellence where digital output is crafted using industry leading best practice frameworks and methodologies to produce the world class apps and services. The team is growing rapidly and looking for talented colleagues to help deliver ambitious and market leading services that live up to Sainsbury’s industry leading reputation.
We are looking for a Cloud Competency Manager to head up our Cloud Competency Centre within Development responsible for Cloud Infrastructure Architecture and Design for the Cloud Infrastructure Service. The Cloud Competency Manager will support Cloud Competency Centre Architects and Designers in providing visibility to the Head of Architecture & Strategy and the Technical Design Manager of Cloud Infrastructure Service designs to demonstrate design standards are consistent and aligned while also being responsible for ensuring adherence to the Cloud Infrastructure Architecture, promoting the ‘Cloud First’ approach, favouring Public cloud.
As a Cloud Competency Manager you will:
- Be accountable for commissioning reviewing and accepting the Cloud Infrastructure architecture and design.
- Be responsible for the implementation of Cloud architecture and design.
- Own the Cloud Analysis function, ensuring this group provides billing, SLA reporting, demand and capacity information to the Cloud Competency Centre and also through the rest of the Cloud Infrastructure Centre.
- Support, whilst ensuring close adherence to the Architecture, Data & Strategy Team, developing and communicating a long term Cloud Infrastructure Strategy and Roadmap.
- Needs to be a delivery focused team player with a pragmatic approach to working with Architecture and Technical Design to solve architecture and Design problems.
- Key responsibilities include:
-developing policies, patterns, standards and guidelines that direct the selection, development, implementation and use of technology across the Cloud Infrastructure Service;
-co-ordinating the identification and assessment of new and emerging technologies;
-day-to-day line management of Cloud Infrastructure Architects, Designers and Analysts;
-reporting and data analysis around cloud infrastructure including Billing, SLA, Demand & Capacity management;
-developing the role of Cloud Analysis to provide accurate and information about Cloud services to the wider group to identify inefficiencies and improve the overall service.
- Work with the Principals and other D&T teams to develop the integrated capital plan.
- Support other Architects in developing and communicating the Cloud Infrastructure Architecture.
- Drive the adoption of Cloud architecture principles, patterns and standards across the D&T Division and the Business.
- Work together with Architecture, Technical Design and the Head of Cloud Infrastructure as the escalation route for Cloud Architects and Designers to help resolve issues.
- Work with external suppliers to ensure that the appropriate technology direction is set with respect to systems, data and technical infrastructure.
- Work with other parts of the D&T Division to ensure the agreement and adoption of IT Standards, Patterns and Policies in line with the Enterprise Architecture and D&T Roadmap.
- Ensure the department maintains enterprise level As-Is and Target architectures.
- Work with Architecture to ensure simplification of our Cloud architecture.
To be a successful Cloud Competency Manager you will need to:
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the main technology base, and a general understanding of the other technology bases which together form the overall technical direction for their area of expertise.
- Keep abreast with developments in the IT industry and retail market space to ensure that the architectures are kept in line with industry standard and only deviate for commercial benefit.
- Have a proven track record as a recognised domain expert on major programs of work.
- Have demonstrable experience of delivering IT systems in both traditional Waterfall and Agile environments.
- Have a proven ability to deliver flexible, reliable, supportable, cost effective (packaged and bespoke) IT solutions.
- Have demonstrable experience in IT Industry standards, services, design, architecture principles design, architecture views and viewpoint design, building block design, solutions modelling and systems behaviour.
- Have demonstrable experience of IT Architecture (and underlying frameworks such as TOGAF) including the development (and ensuring adherence to) Architecture principles and standards.
- Have demonstrable experience of IT Architecture and Design for Public and Private Cloud enterprise solutions for large organisations.
- Have demonstrable knowledge of the IT and retail marketplace & trends is desirable.
- Be proficient in methods and techniques for structured reviews, including reviews of non-functional requirements, technical documents, test plans, business cases and other key deliverables.
- Have demonstrable aptitude for logical thinking which is effectively harnessed through learning IT techniques and tools.