In a nutshell
At Sainsbury’s data is key to our decision making & there’s no other area of the business going through as much change, development & growth as Online.
The Online Analysis & Operational Insight Manager will identify opportunities to maximise the use of data to drive commercial results in this exciting channel of our business by:
- leading the delivery of insight & decision-making support on key Online change projects
- Identifying the levers to balance growth & profitability in BAU activity
- Converting analytical expertise into recommendations & the ‘so-what’ in order to shape the future direction of Online propositions
- Ensuring the customer is kept at the heart of decision making by demonstrating a clear understanding of how customers adapt their shopping behaviour based on the changes made.
What I need to do
- Lead a team of 10 analytical managers & data analysts to deliver accurate, fact based data driven assessments of trading propositions, operational performance & project delivery.
- Provide coaching to your team to drive change; specifically to go beyond the data & analysis in order to provide real insight & recommendations to drive commercial results
- Challenge & shape thinking across the Online division & supporting teams; collaborate with teams across marketing & customer insights to ensure consistency in analytical approaches & resource across the teams is effectively engaged to drive maximum results
Stakeholder management - championing the application of data & analytics across Online to improve decision making
- Develop & maintain relationship with stakeholders at all levels across online, influencing key decisions through an approach based on data, insight & commercial thinking
- Identify opportunities to ‘spread the word’ & ensure decisions made across the Online division are fact based & data led.
- Act as an ambassador for the Data & Analytics Community across the teams within Online
Deliver business insights that drives Online sales growth & cost savings while keeping the customer at the fore-front of decisions.
- Drive forward the adoption of a data driven approach across the Online division.
- Proactively flag changes in customer behaviour & operational metrics to identify opportunities for operational & trading colleagues to drive business benefits
- Continue to evolve the periodic dashboards that are presented to the Online SLT & ultimately the PLC Board. Moving the discussion from what the data is showing to driving real action.
Support the ongoing development of online propositions using data & market insight to ensure our propositions are competitive & right for our customers.
- Provide a holistic view of current propositions, truly understanding how they work together to drive online sales growth e.g. Delivery Pass, Same Day, Click & Collect
- Deliver analysis to shape & support the roll out of new customer & operational propositions. Enabling the business to move at pace making to start, adapt & even stop trials of new propositions.
How I will succeed
The success of the team depends on analysis & insight delivering benefits to both development projects & BAU trading & operational activity: Key success measure will be
- Delivering an analytics plan that delivers commercial benefit & shapes the future of Groceries Online
- Always presenting complex analysis in clear, concise & engaging ways to senior stakeholders, converting analytical expertise into commercial results
- Use great engagement skills to influence decision making of senior stakeholders & ensure that data is truly at the heart of what we do
- Positive feedback from stakeholders at all levels
- Providing inspired leadership to a team of 10 analysts ensuring that individuals grow to reach their full potential
What I need to know
You’ll need to demonstrate:
- An ability to find a coherent story where others would get lost in the detail
- Inquisitive mind & intellectual curiosity – ability to ask the right questions & demonstrates persistence & perseverance in getting to the final answer, challenging perceived wisdom where appropriate
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interpret business questions & quickly ascertain what is really required from data to drive the business forward
- An explicit understanding of the tools (SAS, Alteryx, Microstrategy, PowerBI etc.) & the associated technologies (R, python etc.) & how these tools can be applied to solving business problems.
- A management understanding of insights & statistics, along with the tools & technologies available to bring data to life for users & internal customers.
- Confidence in dealing with complexity & / or ambiguity
What I need to show
Over & above what you need to know, you will need to show:
- Strong business acumen, commercial awareness & judgement
- Drive & ambition, with the ability to challenge the norm in a confident yet constructive manner
- A proven track record of leading a team & acting as the bridge between technical specialist & business owner.
- The ability to relate data / analytics to real-world business problems & coach those around you to develop this skill
- A proactive attitude, someone who thrives on embracing change in a fast moving environment positively impacting & influencing change at senior levels
- Be available, approachable & recognised as an analytical sounding board
Resources available to me
- A team of 10 analysts of varying levels of experience & expertise
- Op Ex budget in excess of £0.5m
- Advice & support from Head of Analysis, Online senior managers & the Data & Analytics Centre of Excellence
What decisions I can make
- Customer & analytics-focused proposition development decisions
- Approach to answer key business questions & best ways to present analysis for maximum impact.
- Team recruitment, development / training & focus
- Prioritisation of team’s work
- How best practice can be adopted across the wider Online Analytics team