Corporate Reward Manager
In a nutshell
This role supports the Head of Reward to develop the Reward strategy, aligned to the long term HR strategy and overall business objectives. The Corporate Reward Manager is responsible for the design, development and implementation of all reward policies and processes, ensuring our offer remains competitive and attractive and drives colleague engagement in line with our HR strategy. The role holder is a subject matter expert, providing specialist support and advice as required to all stakeholders, including HR generalists and the line where appropriate. The role holder, along with their team, is responsible for the delivery of key reward processes, such as bonus and pay review, as well as varied projects as required.
What I need to do
- Actively support and contribute to the development of the Reward strategy by engaging with and seeking the views of stakeholders to ensure the strategy contributes to the achievement of the long term HR strategy and overall business objectives.
- Be the subject matter expert for Reward, providing specialist support and advice as required to all stakeholders, including other members of the Reward team.
- Responsible for the design, delivery and implementation of reward policies that are in line with the Reward Strategy and business requirements as well as compliant with any relevant legislation. Ensure policies and processes are fit for purpose and evolve as necessary, managing change effectively and that communication is tailored for the relevant audience.
- Draft Operating Board papers, including recommendations, following stakeholder engagement, colleague listening and detailed cost:benefit analysis.
- Plan Reward activities which are aligned to the Reward Strategy, over the next 12 to 24 months.
- Manage a team of Reward Managers and Reward Insights Managers.
- Oversee the implementation of annual Reward activities (such as bonus, management pay review, colleague pay review) including:
- Ensuring that annual Reward projects are managed to time and budget.
- Engaging relevant stakeholders at all levels and from various areas of the business (e.g. D & T, Finance, Internal Comms, Payroll, HRS).
- Overseeing the production of implementation and communication documents, tailoring for the relevant audience.
- Overseeing the design and management of Reward systems.
- Equipping and involving HR and line managers to effectively deliver Reward processes and providing upskilling on their general levels of understanding on Reward as appropriate
- Ensuring our colleague and management contracts of employment are up to date, and in line with legislation.
- Ensuring the benchmarking and job evaluation processes are effective, relevant and support us to provide reward packages which are competitive and in line with similar roles in other organisations.
- Overseeing research and analysis of internal and external trends, and analysis of external legislative change.
- Ensuring all communications are clear, understandable and tailored to the audience working closely with the Internal Comms team as appropriate.
- Ensuring that the training offer is effective and relevant for the appropriate audience.
- Build and maintain networks with our external competitors and other reward specialists.
- Strong relationships with key internal and external senior stakeholders (e.g. HR Teams, Payroll, Shareholder Services, D&T, Pensions and third party suppliers) to maintain effective business relationships.
How I will succeed
- Well thought out proposals and recommendations reflecting business objectives, external environment, stakeholder views, with supporting analysis.
- Reward structures, processes and systems which are effective and easy to understand and use.
- Keep up to date with relevant legislation, competitor and other topical Reward news.
- Reward cycle and other projects managed to time and budget.
- Positive feedback from stakeholders.
What I need to know
- Proven specialist reward experience in a large organisation, of designing and implementing reward structures. Retail experience, or similar, preferred.
- Understanding of economic environment, economic trends and indicators relating to reward.
- Highly analytical and numerate - with strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Good knowledge of Microsoft Excel, Word and Powerpoint applications.
What I need to show
- Strong judgement skills, with the ability to make appropriate decisions at pace.
- Ability to think strategically as well as plan and execute successfully.
- Strong leadership skills, able to motivate others, lead by example - role modelling Sainsbury’s value - as well as coaching others and identifying development needs.
- Ability to provide insightful analysis which supports the Reward team to achieve business objectives.
- Ability to influence and communicate (both verbal and written communication) to relevant senior stakeholders.
- Resilient, with the ability to work to a high standard at pace during periods of rapid change.
- Proactively increases own knowledge whilst keeping abreast of external trends and new innovations in the reward and retail space.
- Ability to build strong working relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders.
Resources available to me
- Reward Managers
- Reward Analysts
- Head of Reward
- Wider Reward team
- Other functions – ER, legal etc.
What decisions I can make
- Decide approach for the implementation of BAU and relevant Reward project activities
- Make Reward decisions and recommendations in line with policy
- Assignment of workload to Reward Managers and Analysts.