Cloud Solution Architect
Sainsbury’s, one of the UK’s largest retailers is investing heavily in digital innovation - its aim being to build a centre of excellence where digital output is crafted using industry leading best practice frameworks and methodologies to produce the world class apps and services. The team is growing rapidly and looking for talented colleagues to help deliver ambitious and market leading services that live up to Sainsbury’s industry leading reputation.
We are looking for a Cloud Designer to join our Cloud Competency Centre within Development who will be responsible for supporting the production of high quality, practical, flexible and detailed designs that are aligned to the Solution Architecture and that meet the overall business requirements. You will work closely with the Public and Private Cloud Engineering teams to support the smooth implementation of the solution as well as the correctly defined support models.
As a Cloud Designer you will:
- Create detailed Cloud Infrastructure technical designs to support the projects they are assigned to.
- Apply technical knowledge to produce creative yet practical designs that Architecture and Engineering can understand and operate, which can be implemented and rolled out.
- Work with project teams and Technical Designers, ensures alignment to the Solution Architecture, Sainsbury’s IT Roadmap and defined Cloud Competency Standards & Patterns.
- Where necessary, work with the Product team to ensure designs meet the business requirements.
- Determine the correct sizing for the new solution with the creation of the Capacity Sizing Model.
- Work with the Service Operations teams for the implementation and support of the Cloud Infrastructure designs, via the creation of the Implementation Approaches and Plans.
- Assist with the input into the high-level time and cost estimates for the delivery of the technical elements of a project so that informed decisions can be made about the best way to deliver the required change.
- Make practical, cost conscious and future proofing decisions, where possible, to keep package customisation to a minimum.
- Where a design decision is required post solution approval, assists with creating the appropriate Key Design Decisions (KDDs) by following the change control process.
- Incorporate into the solution via the Decommissioning Approaches and Plans, applications or services that should be decommissioned.
- Ensure alignment with the Cloud Infrastructure Solution Architecture by:
- quickly resolving or escalating any technical design issues that may arise during the development lifecycle, ensuring there is alignment with the Cloud Infrastructure Solution Architecture, so that development progress is not delayed;
- work with development teams to ensure that fit-for-purpose solutions are developed and implemented as per the detailed design and that potential technical issues are resolved or escalated early;
- maintain reusable assets that generalise architectural and design approaches;
- ensure patterns are ‘fit for purpose’ in order to be used by delivery projects;
- ensure the solution components of projects are aligned to the Cloud Competency Centre Technology Standards and Patterns and the Sainsbury’s IT Roadmap through ongoing Design Authority engagement and appropriate document reviews.
To be a successful Cloud Designer you will need to have:
- A strong and demonstrable understanding of IT infrastructure - on-prem Private, Hybrid (Private and Public) and Public cloud.
- Experience with traditional on-prem infrastructure solutions - data centres, hardware, middleware, networking, storage, security, virtualisation, in particular with:
- VMWare Vblock 340
- EMC VNX
- Data Domain
- IP, routing, security policies, DNS, NTP.
- Strong expertise and demonstrable design experience with AWS, with some experience or a working knowledge of Google, Azure or vCloud Air.
- Design experience with service-oriented architecture (IaaS, PaaS, SaaS); designing for failure, decoupled components, auto scaling / elasticity, security.
- Experience of designing solutions that are highly secure and compliant, including:
- PCI DSS compliance;
- OWASP security principles.
- In-depth understanding of how to design disaster recovery solutions in the cloud:
- design for disasters inside the cloud;
- design for disasters of the cloud or cloud provider.
- Understanding and experience of detailed testing approaches for DR solutions. knowledge and experience of:
- open source and CoTS tooling to support Public Cloud IaaS and PaaS solutions for both Linux and Windows operating systems and applications;
- configuration management automation tooling – CAPS (Chef, Ansible, Puppet and Salt stack) and Microsoft equivalents;
- continuous integration and deployment tooling and processes – code repositories, versioning and branching, release tagging, automated testing and deployment;
- containerisation and designing solutions to work with this type of deployment (Docker);
- it would be desirable to have designing knowledge for server-less cloud solutions. Interest in the developments in the IT industry and retail market space to ensure that the technology patterns and designs are kept in line with industry best practice.
- Recognised Professional certification in area of specialism desirable – RedHat (CentOS) certification, AWS Technical professional accreditation, for example.
- Ability to deliver flexible, reliable, supportable, cost effective (packaged and bespoke) IT solutions in both traditional Waterfall and Agile environments.
- Demonstrable awareness of IT Industry standards
- An awareness of IT Architecture (and underlying frameworks such as TOGAF) desirable
- An awareness of the IT and retail marketplace & trends desirable
- An awareness of methods and techniques for structured reviews, including reviews of non-functional requirements, technical documents, test plans, business cases and other key deliverables.