Principal Cloud Engineer - Data Platform
At Sainsbury’s our vision is to be the most trusted retailer, where people love to work and shop. You will have the opportunity to make a difference in the way our customers have the best possible shopping experience. Playing a leading role in increasing the pace of change and development, you’ll have a vital role as Principal Cloud Engineer within Digital and Technology, the place where the code makes a direct impact to millions of customers. Right now, we’re making big investments in engineering and tech so we can get the most from our wealth of customer, colleague and big data lakes.
We are looking for a Principal Cloud Engineer, someone passionate about Infrastructure as Code and automation, to use the latest open-source tools and continuously release quality infrastructure code in production, a pivotal member within the Platform’s Core Engineering team. Our Big Data and Analytics Platform is ingesting, transforming and storing data for a number of data sources, creating business value quicker.
As a Principal Cloud Engineer you will:
- Ensure scalability, reliability, security and efficiency of Sainsbury’s Big Data Platform built on Hadoop, Spark, Kafka, and other open source components.
- Build automation using tools like Terraform and Ansible through CI/CD pipelines.
- Design and build large scale distributed systems.
- Act as a subject matter expert on Public Cloud in the Data Platform team
- Work with other engineering teams to accelerate software delivery.
- Help shaping our organisation’s culture.
- Help defining processes and standards, following industry best practices.
- Coach and mentor other team members.
- Participate in a 24/7 on call rota as required.
As a Principal Cloud Engineer you will be expected to:
- Automate everything.
- Have experience with implementing, deploying, operating a large scale infrastructure in a cloud environment
- Research, evaluate, develop, configure and deploy production systems, with a particular focus on security, idempotency, re-usability.
- Be hands-on, highly technical with strong experience in systems engineering.
- Have in-depth knowledge of:
- GNU/Linux systems;
- delivering Infrastructure, Platform or Software as a Service solutions in a Public Cloud such as AWS, Google, Azure or similar, and using open source tools like Ansible, Chef, Salt, Terraform, Consul, OpenShift, GoCD, Jenkins along with the cloud’s services;
- managing source code and package repositories such as GitHub, Artifactory, Nexus, performing code reviews with exceptional code quality results
- experience with databases – MySQL, Oracle, NoSQL Cassandra, Redis;
- virtualisation and automation solutions.
- Have experience in one or more of these programming languages: Ruby, Python, Go or Shell.
- Have networking experience and understanding of network protocols (e.g. TCP/IP, UDP, HTTP, SMTP, LDAP, DNS, etc), routing, load balancers, VPN, Firewalls.
- Have proven experience working with Infrastructure as Code, configuration management systems, CI/CD pipelines, various deployment techniques.
- Have operational experience working with large, highly available, highly transactional systems on public or private clouds in production.
- Have containerisation experience, e.g. Docker, Kubernetes.
- Have experience using large scale metrics, monitoring, logging platforms like ELK, Sensu, DataDog, NewRelic and be able to analyse and debug issues.
- Work independently and take initiative.