In a nutshell
You will work within the Sainsbury’s Digital & Technology team to help deliver a wide range of software solutions to create value, drive efficiency and increase performance for the business. You will be a key part of Sainsbury’s Digital & Technology strategy to build high quality software products whenever value can be added.
Your role will involve bringing industry leading automated test engineering skills to a cross functional engineering team. You will be expected to train colleagues in best practice test approaches as well as getting hands on and helping to deliver a strong testing strategy to drive Sainsbury’s Engineering strategy forward to both ensure delivery against Sainsbury’s vision and Digital & Technology’s objectives.
What I need to do
- Lead the usage of TDD and BDD and know when to use what.
- Ensure a high standard of testing on the products you are responsible for, aligning to the wider testing strategy.
- Always automate testing wherever possible and sensible covering unit, functional, integration, behavioural, performance and security testing.
- Demonstrate your broad knowledge of testing tools, frameworks and approaches and know what to use for each scenario.
- Use gap analysis and test coverage to help ensure quality.
- Test and test against legacy applications and platforms.
- Integrate tests into build pipelines and know what to execute when and where.
- Get hands-on both with testing and code including pairing with other engineers to teach and learn.
- Mentor your fellow team colleagues in best practice test engineering using your expertise.
- Do your part in shaping a world class engineering function by bringing your experience of cutting edge testing techniques and technologies into the business.
- Ensure your test approach meets the requirements of the product you are building.
- Experience in testing of Big Data including, Hadoop, Hive and knowledge of Scala to create an automation framework would be advantageous.
- Encourage and participate in communities of practice to ensure we share best practice across the engineering teams.
- Work collaboratively and be an active contributor to continuous improvement within a team, within the testing community of practice and within the division providing honest and open feedback based on your experience.
- Work with the Agile Coaches and Scrum Masters to ensure Agile and Lean principles are being followed.
How I will succeed
- Create and facilitate the creation of high quality testing.
- Demonstrate and teach best test engineering practice including TDD/BDD.
- Ensure test frameworks are appropriately integrated into CI/CD pipelines.
- Use the right frameworks, tools and techniques for the job at hand, ensuring alignment to the wider testing strategy that you will influence.
- Help define and implement industry leading test engineering practices.
- Automate as much testing as is efficiently possible.
- Increase the level of test knowledge and skill within the team.
- Ensure good coverage is in place for all types of testing including performance and security.
- Facilitate well thought out testing decisions.
- Successfully test both new build and legacy applications.
- Help increase Sainsbury’s standard of testing.
- Assist the Scrum Master in ensuring our Agile ways of working utilising the Scrum framework are practiced.
What I need to know
- How to create excellent, best practice testing.
- How to automate as much testing as possible including automated V&P and security testing.
- Be an expert in TDD and BDD and know when to use each.
- Extensive experience of the Secure Software Development Life Cycle including build pipelines (CI/CD) and infrastructure (AWS).
- What gap analysis is and how to use it.
- Understand the positives and negatives of test coverage and how to effectively utilise it.
- How to test legacy applications and how that aligns to new build applications.
- Practical experience of a multitude of different technologies and engineering practices through extensive industry experience or computer science qualifications.
- Be knowledgeable of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for completing the Scrum framework
- Experience leading and mentoring colleagues of different skill levels within a large organisational structure.
What I need to show
- Industry leading test engineering skills including automation of all types of testing.
- A solid understanding of TDD/BDD and CI/CD.
- What testing frameworks, tools and processes to use and when.
- Be a great communicator. You will be working with a diverse community of people with various styles of communication. We are looking for people who are dynamic, articulate & confident to interact, engage and challenge.
- Be a good listener – Hearing and understanding the needs of team members is a vital part of your role.
- Ability to influence upwards to the Software Engineering Manager.
- A strong ability to deal with complex problems that have not been faced before in an efficient and effective way.
- An ability to manage your time efficiently between engineering and team mentoring.
- Strong skills and knowledge of situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment and increasing transparency.
- A drive to constantly improve the way we work. Good is not good enough. Ability to multi-task and work flexibly.
- Pragmatic attention to detail.
Resources available to me
- You will have access to the Software Engineering Manager who will work closely with you.
- You will have access to other experienced Test Engineers and Senior Test Engineers through a community of practice.
- You will also have other experts such as the Scrum Master, Lead Agile Coach, Head of Technology and Product experts to support you.
- You will have access to training budget.
What decision I can make
- Testing decisions that meet the requirements of the business.
- Process improvements.