Senior Solution Architect - Internal IT
In a nutshell
The Architecture team enable the creation of new capability for the organisation, whilst managing the risk it presents. You will be working within a Product Family (e.g. Internal IT, Customer, Marketing & Data, Digital) with a recognised speciality in a relevant technical discipline. You’ll be working closely and collaboratively with the Domain Architect from the creation of solution options and supporting the solution through the project lifecycle.
You’ll be someone who loves to make things happen, who can communicate technical issues in a clear manner, can work at the detailed level but also see the bigger picture, and be passionate about identifying and delivering simple solutions to larger problems.
As a member of the Architecture team at Sainsbury’s, you will assist in shaping the future of the organisation and driving innovation in the retail sector.
- To be responsible for the production of high quality, practical, flexible detailed designs that are aligned to the Architecture principles, patterns and standards whilst progressing the overall business requirements.
- To be part of the delivery team in either a waterfall or agile project delivery.
- Works closely with Service Operations and DevOps teams to support the smooth implementation of the solution as well as ensuring suitable support models.
As a Senior Solution Architect specialising in Systems Integration, you will be leading the delivery of our enterprise integration platform architecture designing for:
- Middleware automation and simplification on-premise and in a mixed cloud environment
- API consumption, both internally and externally
- Support of event-driven architectures
- External data ingestion and sharing with our suppliers and trading partners
What I need to do
- Create detailed technical architecture designs to support project delivery and product development and deployment. This may include logical models of components and interfaces.
- Work with the Product Family and the Architecture Review Board to ensure architecture standards & patterns, including security are applied correctly and that designs meet the business requirements.
- Determine the correct sizing for the new solution
- Work with the Service Operations teams to ensure adequate support and robust implementation approaches
- Input into the high-level time and cost estimates for the delivery of the technical elements of a project so that informed decisions can be made about the best way to deliver the required change
- Document Key Design Decisions (KDDs) at appropriate points in the project lifecycle and progress these through architecture governance
- Actively promote the broader enterprise architecture principles and look for opportunities to simplify our estate by identifying applications or services that should be decommissioned.
- Ensure implementation aligns with the architecture design through:
- Quickly resolving or escalating any technical design issues that may arise during the development lifecycle
- Working with software engineering teams or integration partners to ensure that fit-for-purpose solutions are developed and implemented as per the detailed design
- Identify new and emerging technologies that may add business value and communicate these to the broader team.
How I will succeed
- Solutions delivered fit with the Digital and Technology IT Roadmap and adhere to the defined Architecture artefacts.
- Contribute to the adoption of patterns and standards, building our library of repeatable solutions.
- Participate in project governance processes that support the review and sign off of design documents.
- Working with your Product Family to identify and mitigate risks and issues, escalating as appropriate.
- Working closely with Third Party product vendors. Raise product questions and take responsibility for managing issues found. Proactively seeking opportunities to improve our development and delivery approaches
- Active participation in the architecture community, collaborating and building knowledge and expertise.
- Engagement levels with Projects at agreed capitalisation rate.
What I need to know
- Good understanding of integration architecture and patterns
- Proven track record in design and overseeing the delivery of enterprise integration infrastructure, supporting ESB, messaging and SLA monitoring tools, preferably including implementation of hybrid cloud solutions alongside Software AG webMethods and Ab>Initio for a business comparable in size to Sainsbury’s, having a complex IT estate containing both COTS packages and bespoke software architectures, including microservices stacks.
- Demonstrable experience of delivering information security in middleware platforms, covering authentication, authorisation, identity propagation, message encryption, web service security, message integrity and PKI.
- Maintain an up-to-date understanding of the main technology base for your specialty, and a general understanding of the other technology bases which together form the overall technical direction.
- Keep abreast with developments in the IT industry and retail market space to ensure that the architectures are kept in line with industry standards and only deviate for commercial benefit
- Proven track record and experience leading solution architecture for complex programmes
- Recognised Professional Certification such as BCS certification
- Proven experience of designing solutions that operate on the core technologies in use within Sainsbury’s
- Proven ability to deliver flexible, reliable, supportable, cost effective (packaged and bespoke) IT solutions both in traditional Waterfall and Agile environments
- Demonstrable experience in IT Industry standards, services, design, architecture principles design, architecture views and viewpoint design, building block design, solutions modelling and systems behaviour
- Understanding of Enterprise Architecture Frameworks, such as TOGAF or Zachman, including the development (and ensuring adherence to) of Architecture principles and standards
- Demonstrable knowledge of the IT and retail marketplace & trends
- Fluent in methods and techniques for structured reviews, including reviews of non-functional requirements, technical documents, test plans, business cases and other key deliverables.
What I need to show
- The ability to design fit for purpose technical designs that meet the desired Functional and Non-Functional Requirements
- Ability to take ownership of a portfolio of work and draw together technical similarities and opportunity for standardisation
- Manage project demands, escalating as appropriate conflicts with the support of the Domain Architect or Architecture function
- Proven experience and background in delivery across programmes/projects in the assigned area of expertise
- Works with assigned area of business on the future and ensure resources (money, time and people) are utilised as effectively as possible
- Ability to deliver against tight timescales and timelines, escalating any issues to the appropriate individual(s) when required
- Demonstrable aptitude for logical thinking.
- Effective conceptualisation, pattern recognition and design skills.
- Presentation and workshop facilitation skills.
- Ability to assess rapidly changing technologies and apply them to business needs.
- Ability to remain unbiased to specific technologies or vendors, providing an objective and fact-based viewpoint.
- Ability to quickly gain the confidence of the business and colleagues through good communication simplifying complex technical messages.
Resources available to me
- Other Architects for expert advice
- External independent information sources
- Supplier conferences and trade shows
- CTO Organisation and Central Architecture
- Architectural governance forums
- Software Engineering teams and SI partners
What decisions I can make
- Solution architecture design.
- Recommendations on principles, patterns, standards and strategies to be deployed which will then be ratified by the relevant Design Authority and D&T Leadership.