Buying Manager - Beers Ciders & Spirits
In a nutshell
Determine and drive the category, value and supplier strategy, aligned to our corporate strategic framework, for both the short and long term. In the short term this means owning and delivering shared targets, including sales, profit, waste, availability and market share. In the longer term this means analysing and simplifying complex value chains and leading the delivery of an efficient, sustainable value chain that unlocks competitive advantage for Sainsbury’s, whilst delivering the corporate goal, vision and values. Manage key supplier relationships and negotiations within the Category. Responsible for recruiting, inducting, developing and reviewing a team of C5 & C4 buyers and equip them via ongoing coaching and support to deliver the category plan and shared targets. A key member of the team to support the Category manager and buyers, providing a sounding board & filter both ways.
What I need to do
Manage the daily, periodic and annual trading activities to deliver shared targets:
- Recruit (as required), coach and develop a team of 3-4 direct reports, to optimise their potential and deliver category performance and strategic objectives. This is the majority of a Buying Managers responsibility.
- Foster strategic supplier and industry relationships as required to deliver improved business performance
- Establish a category level vision and it’s translation into tactical category plans, taking into consideration long term customer requirements and satisfaction
- Support delivery of category plans, identify potential barriers and opportunities
- Ensure compliance to corporate guidelines and strategy for price, promotions, ranging and forecasting
- Ensure team activity is GSCOP compliant and that all team members are trained to understand their obligations under competition law
- Encourage cross functional collaboration delivering improved availability and a quality shopping experience efficiently
- Originate and deliver complex commercial and operational projects, looking at the full end to end value chain
- Adapt negotiation technique to the circumstance or supplier, leveraging cost base knowledge, data and fact or emotive situations.
- Personally contribute to Business Unit strategic direction, play an active role in leading within the Business Unit on specific tasks as required
- Encourage an attitude of continuous improvement with respect of operational efficiency, within the framework of SMART working
- Play an active role in delivering and developing the importance of our corporate values
How I will succeed
- Financial – delivery to shared targets and budget
- Strategic – Long term, cross functional category and supplier plan implementation and creating a sustainable competitive advantage.
- Leadership –stakeholder and team feedback. Progress made by direct reports through coaching.
- People – nurture and develop talent and see progression of C3/C4 colleagues within the business
- Customer – improving customer satisfaction scores, improving market share
What I need to know
- Strong business and commercial acumen
- How to build a strategic customer facing plan
- Analyse and interpret customer data and translate this into actions and strategy
- How to coach and develop a team of junior buyers
- Product, market and consumer knowledge
- Effective communicator and networker
- Excellent teamwork ability
- Ability to represent the business externally at a high level
- Previous VCA experience desirable
- Graduate calibre or equivalent
What I need to show
- Ability to analyse, develop & implement Category, value and supplier strategy
- Ability to proactively identify opportunities to improve category performance and take action
- Ability to engage and influence key stakeholders at all levels & present at key meetings and forums
- Ability to build strong relationships and partnerships with key suppliers and cross functional colleagues.
- Demonstrate tenacity to achieve results, foster a high performance culture and recognise and celebrate success of others.
- Divergent thinking as well as trading experience and expertise
- Excellent people skills and EI, to guide thinking and behaviour
Resources available to me
- Direct reports: Category Assistant and 4 buyers (2x C5, 2x C4)
- Shared knowledge and resource across a category trading team of c20
- Cross functional team in supply chain, technical, NPD and wider business.
- Online development resource
- Finance team support in each category
- Trading admin support
- Category planning and ranging support
What decisions I can make
- Value proposition for pricing, promotions within agreed framework
- Product costs
- Supplier strategy
- Ranging architecture
- Supplier strategy proposals