Customer Analyst (Marketing Analytics)
In a nutshell
Sainsbury’s is a data rich business – with information collected from consumers, suppliers and colleagues. We believe that there is huge value in these data in driving value for our customers and, in turn, value for our shareholders.
As part of this Sainsbury’s regularly contacts its base of over 12m customers with communications targeted by content, channel, offer, and discount. Through our very large direct marketing programme we drive business sales, profit, share and the development of the newest businesses within the Group. We identify when customers are at risk of churning and re-ignite their loyalty to the business before they lapse from us. We drive additional visits, more items in the basket, and use of more of our multiple channels by our customers. Making proper use of our data is essential to every aspect of this programme.
Forming part of a large analytics community within Sainsbury’s, there are several analytics sub-teams in Marketing who deliver the targeted comms programme (approx. 30 analysts in total), focusing on the start and end of the customer journey, our targeted sales-boosting programmes and developing the capabilities we need to make our communications ever more personalised and impactful. We work within a ‘Power of Two’ structure with our partners in Marketing, meaning that we are no ‘back room function’ and play a significant part in all aspects of the targeted comms strategy and implementation. If you enjoy applying analytics to real life business questions, and seeing your recommendations come to life, then you will enjoy a role with us.
What I need to do
- To plan and design the targeting and offers for our targeted marketing programme, and run the selections of customers with the many variants of our activities allocated to them
- To forecast, monitor and review the performance of our activity, keeping senior Finance (and other commercial) stakeholders engaged and supportive in our ability to deliver. To understand the success of a campaign, thinking of the balance between sales and profit driven (ROI) and make recommendations accordingly.
- To run and manage regular reporting and post-campaign analysis for all our campaigns, and deliver actionable insights and recommendations from this, so that we always continue to evolve and improve the work we do: ‘standing still’ is not acceptable.
- To work closely with other Marketing colleagues and help develop new programmes and evolve existing campaigns, and to use appropriate analytical and statistical techniques, software and data sources to develop models of customer behaviour as foundations for these campaigns.
- To be an active, participating member of the Analytical team and the Marketing team at Sainsbury’s
How I will succeed
- Our analysts need to be highly skilled in their understanding and ability to manipulate large and disparate datasets to produce actionable insights
- We use SAS & IBM Unica for the majority of our analysis and experience (or a willingness to learn) here is vital, however experience of SQL / R / IBM Unica (or similar) will also be considered
- We are not a ‘back office’ function. We work collaboratively with the creative and communications teams who run these programmes and are expected to pull our weight in strategic discussions and planning meetings. Teamwork and collaboration is essential.
- Our work does not stop when the code is run. Without sharing our results and making sure the implications of them are understood, we cannot drive the impact we would like. Our best analysts are able to ‘take a step back’ and see the ‘so what’ from their analysis.
- We are an engaged, friendly and welcoming team with a real focus on the customer. Being able to work in a strong team environment, and to contribute to this, will be essential for a successful candidate.
What I need to know
Essential for a role with us:
- Strong skills and experience of at least one coding language in development of targeting and customer selections
- A broad numerical & analytical background with experience in complex statistical problems
- Experience with and knowledge of database structures and relational databases
- Ability to use Microsoft Office products, especially Excel
Shaping the results:
- Experience of providing and applying statistical/marketing modelling for decision making within direct marketing
- Experience and interest in commercial acumen and business planning
Sharing the results:
- Experience of managing stakeholders at various levels
- Excellent communicator with the ability to explain complex analytical techniques to non-technical audiences in a clear and positive manner
- Experience of Regression & Modelling, Chaid or Clustering
- Understanding data availability, data strengths and weaknesses
- Use of External data sources e.g. Acorn, Mosaic, Lifestyle & Electoral Roll
- Knowledge of address processing practices
- Knowledge of Unica or similar business platform
What I need to show
- The technical ability to produce the results
- The business understanding to use the results
Resources available to me
- Enterprise Data Warehouse – hosts all Nectar customer data and transactional data
- Technology - SAS / R / IBM Unica
- Knowledgeable colleagues within the Customer Analytics Team and within the wider Analytics community at Sainsbury’s, which is a strongly functioning community
- Regular in-house training sessions
- Training budget for external courses (e.g., SAS Institute)
What decisions I can make
- Approach and methodology of analysis
- Design of customer selection and targeting for each piece of targeted comms
- Narrative of post campaign analysis following on from activity
- Recommendations for future activity (or non-activity) based on campaign results and business context, and for the allocation of activity budget