Customer Plan Marketing Manager
In a nutshell
The role is responsible for Marketing’s overall customer planning process, you will coordinate strategies, objectives and priorities from Marketing, Trading, Food Transformation and more to build, review and optimise the customer plan, acting as the front-door into the Marketing division.
What I need to do
Sainsbury’s Customer Plan & Governance: You are the owner of the Sainsbury’s Corporate Customer Plan, and it’s your responsibility to:
- Define and develop the plan to ensure its meeting the needs of all stakeholders across the business.
- Be the go-to person in Marketing to understand what is happening, when and what needs to happen in which order, for the Customer Plan to be delivered. This is not about always being a gatekeeper or blocker but about being a great facilitator.
- Be fluent in the marketing and business strategies – apply that knowledge in reviewing and prioritising opportunities for marketing support, and in communicating decisions back to stakeholders
- Proactively establish relationships with key teams to ensure our Customer Plan is kept up to date and accurate for all areas, including Proposition Managers, Campaign Management, Retail, Trading, Non Food Planning, Space and Formats and more.
- Lead the Trade Planning process for key calendar events (Christmas and Easter) facilitating cross-functional working groups. Build a distinctive Trade Plan that ensures the customer is at the heart of all activity, and that the plan will deliver commercial value, ultimately driving more customers to shop with us more often.
- Set, manage and run the marketing gate process, including constantly reviewing to make sure it’s fit-for-purpose in the context of the broader business ways of working (e.g. agile, alignment with the ABC process etc.)
- Manage or support key decision-making forums including the Monthly Customer Plan Forum (manage approval of the Gate 2 proposition papers with the Marketing Leadership Team) and the Marketing Activity Requests Forum which reviews all activity outside of the gate process. Where required provide gate process training and general understanding on the governance structure in place to support the planning process.
- You will need to work closely with the Marketing finance team to ensure that the Customer Plan is delivering against commercial objectives.
- Where required you will need to lead our contingency planning process, and navigate across the wider business to understand what levers we have available to drive sales during key trading periods
- You will need to work closely with the Customer Plan Exec to ensure all key information is captured accurately and the plan is kept up-to-date, maintaining customer themes, marketing focus areas, lead ATL and instore campaigns so they are accurate for all stakeholders each week. Together with this manage the change control process and ensure we have engaged stakeholders where necessary.
- Establish the right balance between the plan being confidential however also being used as a tool to engage others across the business.
Annual Planning Process
- Establish within the changing business context how we continue to deliver a rolling customer plan. Working through and define / understand the process with other teams across the Marketing department and beyond, communicate this with all stakeholders where appropriate.
How I will succeed
- Fantastic working relationships across all of Marketing and wider teams you are working with
- Regularly engaging and supporting the business with all the Customer Planning governance processes
- Delivering effective and engaging Marketing forums which stakeholders truly love attending
- Ensuring the customer plan is fit for purpose and delivering against these defined objectives, success is the team living and breathing this document
- Delivering a solid training plan for the marketing gate process and ensuring everyone understands this 100%
What I need to know
- Good understanding of how to deliver different Marketing campaigns, across various channels
- Understand the Marketing and broader business strategy
- Excellent project management and organisation skills.
- Change management experience (desirable)
- Excellent stakeholder management, engagement and influencing skills.
- A track record of problem solving
What I need to show
- Apply understanding of marketing and business strategies in assessing and prioritising opportunities for marketing support
- Brilliant relationships and excellent stakeholder management approach
- Ability to prioritise workload on an ongoing basis, and flex accordingly
- Fantastic attention to detail
- Excellent organisation skills and project management capability
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent knowledge of the business principles and core values
- Effective communicator and good networker
Resources available to me
- No budget, this role is really about leveraging strong relationships with key teams across the business to proactively align and agree our Marketing plan
- Customer Planning Team (4 colleagues).
What decisions I can make
- Overall decision maker on the timelines and milestones relating to the customer plan
- Day to day decision maker on the customer plan with regards to updating and being the overall gatekeeper.
- Designing, scoping and delivering the way we train the marketing team with the Marketing gate process
- You have the helicopter view of the customer plan and have accountability for influencing decisions about where things should go on the plan.
- Support the team to understand where and whether an activity should feature on the plan, and work with the team to understand what support through which marketing channels could be provided.