In a nutshell
You will work collaboratively across the business and our value chains to implement the Sainsbury’s Livestock strategy for your aligned species.
You will achieve this through engaging with the Sainsbury’s brand and commercial teams, our supply base, farmer development groups and external experts; ensuring we provide our customers with distinctive, fresh, tasty, safe and healthy food, sourced in line with our values, our sustainability plan commitments and our customer expectations.
Sainsbury’s Agriculture Vision, Strategy and Priorities
- To be an industry leading team at the heart of Sainsbury’s business
o Unlocking value, delivering our values, driving innovation, sustaining competitive advantage and protecting our brand.
o Working collaboratively to deliver excellence in agricultural and horticultural production.
Resilient, secure and sustainable value chains
Leading soil and plant health and animal health & welfare
Great quality, taste, freshness and distinctiveness
What I need to do
- Deliver the Sainsbury’s Livestock sourcing strategy for your aligned species, including the delivery of our publically stated commitments and in line with our business values.
- Input of livestock and agriculture expertise, advice and recommendation to Sainsbury’s strategic business change projects including VCA and Sustainability Planning, Category and Supplier Business plans and supply base reviews.Working in partnership with the category teams and supply base to deliver the Sainsbury’s Brand Category plans and relevant joint business plans (JBPs). Deliver the farmer development group strategy for your aligned groups. Establishing a structured and effective route to communicate with our livestock farming base, measuring and drivingperformance and delivering innovation and competitive advantage.
- Identify opportunities for change and in your supply chain(s) and implement as required e.g. farmer selection, this could be strategic development of the existing supply base or establishing a different structure of new producers
- Prioritise your workload in line with business goals ensuring delivery of key goals both operationally and from a KPI and ‘Our sustainability plan’ perspective.
- Coach and train C4 Agriculture Managers, new colleagues, graduates and interns to excellence in respect of all elements of their role.
- Act as an ambassador for the Sainsbury’s Brand at the relevant industry forums and engage key stakeholders (as agreed with the Head of Livestock) ensuring we are at the forefront of industry knowledge and are effectively communicating our position and achievements to the appropriate audience
- Be aware of collaborsative R&D opportunities that are aligned to our priorities of continuous improvement in livestock sourcing (including health and welfare), livestock performance or product quality, and recommend projects to the Livestock Manager for consideration,
- Manage a portfolio of livestock R&D projects for your aligned species in accordance with the requirements of the R&D programme.Work with the technical team to ensure safety & compliance of all products within the context of ever changing UK (and relevant international) legislation specific to livestock sourcing.
How I will succeed
- Aligned development group strategy, targets and implementation plan signed off and delivered
- Agreed plans in place and underway to deliver Our Sustainability Plan commitments.
- A well ,managed programme of targeted collaborative innovation and R&D plans for your aligned supply chains.
- Individual KPI’s green rated.
- Clear objectives,individual targets and PDP’s.
- Evidence of applying good judgement, drive and influence.
- Effective planning and prioritisation
- Budget spend is aligned to agreed agriculture and business priorities.
- Valued contribution to Sainsbury’s strategic business decisions including VCA, Supplier Selection, Category Planning and Quality Investment.
- Talent nurturting of c4 agriculture manager, interns and graduates.
What I need to know
- Degree or equivalent qualification in relevant scientific subject
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Computer literacy
- Commercial awareness
- Sector experience preferable with demonstrable experience in livestock and a track record of delivering results.
- Experience of working in a cross-functional team to deliver business-wide projects.
- Sound analytical thinking and judgment.
- Track record of delivery
- Ability to represent the business externally at a high level
What I need to show
- We are trusting each other, working together: Work collaboratively across the entire value chain to deliver Sainsbury’s livestock strategy and our public commitments.
- We are making it simpler: Identifies opportunities to improve KPI performance through simplified ways of working.
- We are delivering great service, driving sales: Develop and execute Sainsbury’s Brand Agriculture plans.
- We are making it happen: Develop and implement a species strategy to drive performance, & deliver innovation & competitive advantage.
- We are treating every pound as our own: Identify an deliver collaborative R&D and innovation projects (e.g. with recognised centres of excellence) that will drive cost effective, resilient livestock value chains, competitive advantage and great quality product.
- We are cheering on our progress. Recognises and provides feedback on colleague and farmer performance and celebrates achievements along the way as well as the end goal.
Resources available to me
- Sainsbury’s Brand expertise including technical managers, nutritionists, product safety experts and sustainability experts.
- Sainsbury’s Brand Finance expertise
- Sainsbury’s D&T and Business Intelligence teams.
- Access to industry, academic and professional body experts
- Access to Sainsbury’s suppliers and farmers (globally) as a source of knowledge, expertise and inspiration.
- My Sainsbury’s Learning- Sainsbury’s Brand Technical Training Courses and Store Support Centre behavioural personal development courses.
- Link conversations and a personal development plan
- Comprehensive development programme.
What decisions I can make
- Aligned development group membership in line with development group strategy
- Aligned development group priorities, in line with data insights and business priorities
- Development Group Leadership
- Livestock specification for Sainsbury’s
- Farm auditing and grading (where applicable )