In a nutshell
At Sainsbury’s data is key to our decision making and our newly formed Data & Analytics Centre of Excellence shows our commitment to ensuring we realise the value that our data can generate and signficantly step on the vast opportunities this presents.
As an Analysis Manager you will be responsible for identifying opportunities to maximise the use of data to drive commercial results for our business by:
- leading the delivery of insight & decision-making support in a business area
- identifying the levers to balance growth & profitability in BAU activity
- converting analytical expertise into recommendations & the ‘so-what’ in order to shape the future direction of initiatives and propositions
- ensuring the customer is kept at the heart of decision making by demonstrating a clear understanding of how customers adapt their shopping behaviour based on the changes made.
What I need to do
- Lead a team of analytical leads & data analysts to deliver accurate, fact based data driven assessments of trading propositions, operational performance &/or project delivery.
- Provide coaching to your team to drive change; specifically to go beyond the data & analysis in order to provide real insight & recommendations to drive commercial results
- Challenge & shape thinking across a business area & supporting teams; collaborate with teams across marketing & customer insights to ensure consistency in analytical approaches & resource across the teams is effectively engaged to drive maximum results
- Stakeholder management - championing the application of data & analytics across a business area to improve decision making
- Develop & maintain relationship with stakeholders at all levels across a business area, influencing key decisions through an approach based on data, insight & commercial thinking
- Identify opportunities to ‘spread the word’ & ensure decisions made across the division are fact based & data led.
- Act as an ambassador for the Data & Analytics Community across the teams within a business area
- Deliver business insights that drives sales growth & cost savings while keeping the customer at the fore-front of decisions.
- Drive forward the adoption of a data driven approach across a business area.
- Proactively flag changes in customer behaviour & operational metrics to identify opportunities for operational & trading colleagues to drive business benefits
- Continue to evolve the value added reporting proactively flagging changes in performance. Moving the discussion from what the data is showing to driving real action.
- Support the ongoing development of DACE products (e.g. Ranging, Promo ROI etc) leading your team to use advanced analytics and ensure products delivered are statistically robust and right for our stakeholders.
- Deliver the analytical expertise in the development and delivery of large scale development projects to deliver value to the business as defined by the benefits realisation team
- Agitate both the business and other teams within DACE around the ‘art of the possible’ from an analytics perspective – ensuring we are thinking big and delivering the most value for the business.
How I will succeed
The success of the team depends on analysis & insight delivering benefits to both development projects & BAU activity: Key success measure will be
- Delivering an analytics plan that delivers commercial benefit & shapes the future of a business area
- Always presenting complex analysis in clear, concise & engaging ways to senior stakeholders, converting analytical expertise into commercial results
- Use great engagement skills to influence decision making of senior stakeholders & ensure that data is truly at the heart of what we do
- Positive feedback from stakeholders at all levels
- Providing inspired leadership to a team of analysts ensuring that individuals grow to reach their full potential
What I need to know
You’ll need to demonstrate:
- An ability to find a coherent story where others would get lost in the detail
- Inquisitive mind & intellectual curiosity – ability to ask the right questions & demonstrates persistence & perseverance in getting to the final answer, challenging perceived wisdom where appropriate
- Excellent communication skills with the ability to interpret business questions & quickly ascertain what is really required from data to drive the business forward
- An explicit understanding of the tools (SAS, Alteryx, Microstrategy, PowerBI etc.) & the associated technologies (R, python etc.) & how these tools can be applied to solving business problems.
- A management understanding of insights & statistics, along with the tools & technologies available to bring data to life for users & internal customers.
- Confidence in dealing with complexity & / or ambiguity
What I need to show
Over & above what you need to know, you will need to show:
- Strong business acumen, commercial awareness & judgement
- Drive & ambition, with the ability to challenge the norm in a confident yet constructive manner
- A proven track record of leading a team & acting as the bridge between technical specialist & business owner.
- The ability to relate data / analytics to real-world business problems & coach those around you to develop this skill
- A proactive attitude, someone who thrives on embracing change in a fast moving environment positively impacting & influencing change at senior levels
- Be available, approachable & recognised as an analytical sounding board
Resources available to me
- A team of analysts of varying levels of experience & expertise
- Op Ex budget in excess of £0.5m
- Advice & support from Head of Analysis, business senior managers & the Data & Analytics Centre of Excellence
What decisions I can make
- Customer & analytics-focused proposition development decisions
- Approach to answer key business questions & best ways to present analysis for maximum impact.
- Team recruitment, development / training & focus
- Prioritisation of team’s work
- How best practice can be adopted across the wider business area you support