Technical Business Analyst
In a nutshell
Sainsbury’s is a data rich business – with information collected from consumers, suppliers and colleagues. We believe that there is huge value in these data in driving value for our customers and, in turn, value for our shareholders.
This role will, in a nutshell, undertake technical business analysis, capturing and documenting requirements to ultimately to make great quality, well understood data available to drive analytics and insights into the business.
The role will involve working across a mix of traditional UX, Online, RDBMS, Big Data and new open source platforms with a range of tools and technologies, utilising them in the most appropriate manner to deliver results while developing a strategic capability.
The fundamental principle is that data is a corporate asset and, as such, we need to manage and govern it in a way which creates value from that asset.
What I need to do
- Turn analytical and reporting business requirements into technical specifications and identify key data needs
- Capture both functional and non-functional business requirements for data solutions that enable great reporting, analysis and data science
- Support the enhancement of data models and solution designs across a range of capabilities so that the right data solutions and layers can be developed
- Undertake standard requirements gathering as well as support rapid discovery, prototyping and data science, that can subsequently be turned into production solutions
- Ensure that solutions being developed meet the original requirements and that the appropriate checks and controls are in place throughout the process to do so
- Analyse data sources and identify gaps between non-technical business requirements and technical realities
- Document transformation logic and business rules
- Capture business data quality rules and data cleansing rules
- Validate the process metadata and row level traceability captured in a metadata hub
- Own the requirement from inception through to delivery and release
- Work with the testing teams through a test led approach and participate in testing
- Manage change control through an appropriate process
- Manage and update appropriate artefacts
- Embed appropriate data management principles and requirements into documentation
- Triage and impact assess requirements, providing accurate estimates that are subsequently delivered against
- Ensure technical requirements are captured at the appropriate level, that documentation evolves through the process containing necessary functional and non-functional requirements
- Work with D&T (IT) service integration team to acquire and land necessary data to appropriate landing strip - samples first, followed by test and production data
- Prioritise and manage time against demand
How I will succeed
- Developing a great relationship with D&T (IT), peers and the end user community.
- Facilitate workshops and one to one’s to bring the right community together to capture requirements at the right level
- Build a network of contacts in the business, and learn something new about the business every day
- Help the business understand the possibilities and issues with data
- Be diligent and positive about issue tracking and sharing knowledge
- Be a clear communicator able to discuss and relate well with both technical and non-technical colleagues
- Work as a pro-active member of matrix delivery teams
- Being focussed on driving value back into the business
- Managing a complex mix of work within tight timescales and budgets in an agile way that ensures maximising our value opportunity (time to value).
- Be seen to be the ‘can-do’ enabler for the user community
- Develop and utilise your existing network within and outside of the open source community to share, learn, develop new and enhance existing capabilities.
What I need to know
- How to capture clear and concise technical, functional and non-functional requirements
- Appropriate use of epics, use cases and user stories
- Clearly a detailed knowledge of the tools, technologies, skills and processes required to deliver a complex and complete solution design capability for the business.
- Understanding of design and development of data stores, data warehouses and associated toolsets
- Knowledge of big-data tools and technologies and traditional data warehouses/toolsets
- Knowledge of online, tagging and tracking capabilities and solutions desirable
- Understanding and experience with digital data layers
- An understanding of design and development in the cloud (AWS a plus), and the services available
- A detailed understanding of how to turn business requirements into technical specification
- A deep understanding and experience of working in a mix of delivery methodologies including Agile, Scrum and Waterfall
- A strong understanding of the applications of data from reporting and analysis through to data science
What I need to show
- Good facilitation and influencing skills to bring the right people together and enable deliverable requirements to be captured at the right level
- Agile backlog and sprint management including estimation, backlog management, sprint planning, sprint reviews
- Interest in exploring, modelling, and transforming data
- Knowledge of test data creation
- Understanding of relational and non-relational databases, and use cases for each
- Strong technical specification and design skills
- The passion, drive and commitment to succeed
- A proven track record of capturing technical requirements in a large scale, complex business.
Resources available to me
- People – an appropriately sized and skilled team and a manager to provide direction and support your development
- Toolsets – A strong mix of more traditional and new big data, open source capabilities, jira, Erwin, confluence, etc.
- A wholly engaged business – keen to have ‘data sorted’ and equally keen to help
What decisions I can make
- How to best facilitate requirements gathering
- Drive in terms of personal and professional development
- Management of time and activities to achieve agreed deliverables
- Pro-activeness towards recommending improvements to team working and processes