Assistant Merchandiser - Toys
In a nutshell
To support the Merchandiser in the delivery of product ranges and agreed stock parameters in order to successfully achieve sales, profit, margin and stock targets in an Omni-channel retail operation through the Merchandising of a department or product category.
What I need to do
- Assist the Merchandiser in implementing all aspects of the department strategy to deliver all KPIs including sales and profit targets.
• With support of Junior Merchandiser/Merchandiser, work with the buying team to review weekly trading performance on KPIs and to identify any issues and opportunities, prepare relevant analysis as required by the Junior Merchandiser/Merchandiser
• Prepare forecasts to ensure sales, stock holding, margin and availability is optimised.
• Understanding and use of the WSSI in the management of intake and the stock position
• Responsible for maintaining accurate records of commitment in order to provide stock intake and output forecasts
• Identify and action markdown requirements for the department with guidance from the Merchandiser
• Work with the Store Replenishment Assistant to plan initial allocations & launch builds & ensure that stock & availability targets are met
• Complete attribute analysis to support the Merchandiser in planning process
• Monitor and update item line flows/line cards and recommend actions to Merchandiser to maximise sales opportunity and minimise risk.
• Assist Merchandiser/ Junior Merchandiser to ensure on-time delivery through supporting the achievement of merchandising milestones within the critical path, ensuring any issues are resolved or raised where appropriate.
• Work closely with buying and technology to plan and manage regular progress meetings, both internally and also with external suppliers, to ensure adherence to the agreed critical path
• Oversee timely delivery of stock into the warehouse, to maximise availability in line with agreed KPI’s and timelines
• Responsible for order authorisation in line with agreed parameters.
• Demonstrate high levels of process compliance and data integrity.
• Provide great customer service to store colleagues through speedy resolution of queries
• Coach the Merchandising Admin Assistant on the department
• Conduct regular store visits to develop a commercial awareness of Sainsbury’s product ranges, stores and competitors
• Ensure team activity is legal and compliant, and ensure trained to understand my obligations under competition law and ethical training
How I will succeed
- Contribution to delivery of department’s objectives and commercial targets measured through KPIs
• Stock levels appropriate to season and trading environment (forecasting accuracy)
• Delivers great service to stakeholders, with positive feedback
• High data integrity
• Tasks delivered in timely manner to achieve critical path / On-time launch position achieved
• Demonstrates the Sainsbury’s values
• Appropriate analysis available to the Merchandiser in line with the Buying & Merchandising Calendar
• Works effectively with SRT team
What I need to know
- Interest in commercial issues, previous Merchandising experience preferred
• Demonstrable knowledge of business principles, Sainsbury’s values
• Good at building positive relationships and team working
• Strong analytical & numerical skills
• Good written and verbal communication skills
• Ability to coach junior members of staff, particularly with business processes, tools and systems
• Excellent admin and organisational ability
• Systems knowledge especially Excel and MS office.
What I need to show
- Continuous improvement in the role, and a desire to develop
• Ensures that customers are at the heart of all decisions taken.
• Accuracy and attention to detail related to process and systems
• Takes accountability to ensure that own and team targets are met.
• Positive approach to building relationships with stakeholders, and wants to deliver great service
• Identifies problems and makes suggestions for improvements
• Takes every opportunity to communicate relevant information
• Open to trying new ideas or ways of doing things
• Minimises cost and maximises profit.
Resources available to me
- Business planning, SRT and Central Merchandising, Trading Support team, Pricing & promotions analyst, Space team, Marketing team, Finance team, Retail team.
• Customer Insights
• Merchandise Planning System, Retek, RDW, Crystal Reporting, Excel, Buyers Workbench (where applicable)
• Relevant training
What decisions can I make
- Input into forecast and reforecast at category, subcategory or SKU in line with trading performance for current and future seasons
• Input into open and when to buy to deliver key performance indicators and optimise trading performance
• Present recommendations on range, planograms, pricing, promotional activity, Supplier selection & de-listing
• Input on departmental processes and team meetings
• Follow through of tasks and resolution to issues